Is There a Formula for Compound Interest with Additional Payments?

In summary, to calculate compound interest with additional payments, you can use the formula: 500*r*(r^5-1)/(r-1) where "r" represents the annual growth rate. This formula takes into account the initial payment, as well as the additional payments made each year for a total of 5 years. This is a simpler and more accurate way to calculate compound interest with additional payments than the method of calculating each year separately.
pdunn
Hello, I wanted to know is there a formula for compound interest when making additional payments. i.e. I make payments of $500 ever year for 5 years and NOT just $2500 once for the 5 year term.

The current way I am calculating the result is using Compound Interest of initial payment for one year, then use that value as the new payment plus $500 for one year. I continue until 5 years have been reached. Is there a simplier and probably correct way to do this?

Thank you,
P

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You can look up "annuity", but you can derive the formula you need if you know a little about geometric series.

Suppose your money grows by r per year, that is you have 500*r a year after your first payment. After 5 years, this first payment becomes 500*r^5. The second payment accumulates 4 years of interest is now at 500*r^4, and so on. At the end of 5 years (and 5 payments total) you have:

500*r^5+500*r^4+500*r^3+500*r^2+500*r=500*r*(r^4+...+1)=500*r*(r^5-1)/(r-1)

am

Hi Pam,

Yes, there is a formula for calculating compound interest with additional payments. It is called the compound interest formula with periodic payments. The formula is:

A = P(1+r/n)^(nt) + PMT[((1+r/n)^(nt)-1)/(r/n)]

Where:
A = final amount
P = initial principal
r = annual interest rate
n = number of compounding periods per year
t = number of years
PMT = periodic payment amount

Using this formula, you can calculate the final amount after 5 years with the additional payments of $500 each year. This formula takes into account the interest earned on the initial payment as well as the additional payments made each year.

I hope this helps and simplifies your calculations. Best of luck!

Related to Is There a Formula for Compound Interest with Additional Payments?

What is the formula for compound interest?

The formula for compound interest is A = P(1 + r/n)^nt, where A is the final amount, P is the principal amount, r is the annual interest rate, n is the number of times the interest is compounded per year, and t is the number of years.

How is compound interest different from simple interest?

Compound interest is different from simple interest because it takes into account the accumulated interest from previous periods, while simple interest only calculates interest based on the initial principal amount.

What is the significance of the time period in the compound interest formula?

The time period, represented by t, is significant in the compound interest formula because it determines how many times the interest is compounded per year. A longer time period results in more compounding periods, leading to a higher final amount.

What is the effect of increasing the interest rate in compound interest?

Increasing the interest rate, represented by r, in the compound interest formula will result in a larger final amount. This is because a higher interest rate means more interest is earned per compounding period, leading to a faster growth of the initial principal amount.

How can compound interest be used in financial planning?

Compound interest can be used in financial planning to determine the future value of investments and savings. By using the formula, individuals can make informed decisions about how much to invest and for how long in order to achieve their financial goals.