Is There a Contradiction in Calculating Magnetic Fields in Infinite Planes?

In summary, using the general result that if we have one (infinite) conducting wire with current I, the magnetic field at a distance a is:B = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi a}where I is the current in amperes and a is the distance from the wire to the point.If we fix ourselves on a certain point on the z-axis looking at the infinite plane, say (0,0,d), we can say a dx-segment of the plane contributes a dB field with dB = \frac{\mu J dx}{2 \pi \sqrt(d^2+x^2)}since dI = Jdx (from the definition of J) and we use the fact
nonequilibrium
Okay, the title is promising something big. I'm sorry, it's probably not big, but it does seem important, although for some it will be unsignificant, I suppose it depends on your interests in physics:

So if you have an infinite plane with current density J (current per meter width) (say pointing up in the y direction, in the xy-plane), you have a magnetic field independent of distance, pointing in the +/-x direction (dependent on which side) with formula:

[tex]B = \frac{\mu J}{2}[/tex]

This is easily derived from the Ampère-Maxwell law (Bds = mu*I will suffice).

But what if we use the general result that if we have one (infinite) conducting wire with current I, the magnetic field at a distance a is:

[tex]B = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi a}[/tex]

Then if we go back to our infinite J-plane, and we fix ourselves on a certain point on the z-axis looking at the infinite plane, say (0,0,d), we can say a dx-segment of the plane contributes a dB field with

[tex]dB = \frac{\mu J dx}{2 \pi \sqrt(d^2+x^2)}[/tex]

since dI = Jdx (from the definition of J) and we use the fact that the distance 'a' from a certain dI to the fixed point on the z-axis is a = sqrt(d² + x²) with d the distance to the closest dI.

However, taking the integral from x = - infinity .. infinity, it diverges!

Why can't I calculate it this way?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are ignoring the fact that the magnetic field is a vector. If we have an infinite line of current along the z-axis, the magnetic field is directed along the \hat{\phi} direction. You have assumed that all the magnetic fields contributing from your line currents are directed along the same direction, thus adding up without any cancellation. You need to take this into account by converting the magnetic field to a vector in cartesian coordinates and then finding the appropriate direction based on the position of the wire.

you need an extra factor of

[tex]
\cos \theta = \frac{d}{\sqrt{d^{2} + x^{2}}}
[/tex]

for the x component. The other components will cancel and the integral converges now.

Oh of course :) how silly, thank you!

I am always open to exploring and questioning contradictions in scientific theories or equations. In this case, it seems that there may be a discrepancy between the two formulas for the magnetic field in an infinite plane with current density J. While one formula (B = \frac{\mu J}{2}) is derived from the Ampère-Maxwell law and the other (B = \frac{\mu I}{2 \pi a}) is a general result for a single conducting wire, they should theoretically yield the same result for the magnetic field at a specific point.

It is possible that there may be a mistake in the derivation or assumptions made in one of the formulas. It could also be a limitation of the equations themselves, as they may not fully account for all variables in a real-life scenario. Further investigation and experimentation may be necessary to fully understand this contradiction.

However, it is important to remember that scientific theories and equations are constantly evolving and being refined. It is possible that this contradiction could lead to a deeper understanding of the underlying principles and ultimately lead to a more accurate and comprehensive formula for the magnetic field in an infinite plane with current density J. As a scientist, it is crucial to remain open-minded and continue to question and explore these contradictions in order to advance our understanding of the world around us.

Related to Is There a Contradiction in Calculating Magnetic Fields in Infinite Planes?

1. What is the contradiction in Maxwell's equations?

The contradiction in Maxwell's equations refers to the fact that they predict the existence of electromagnetic waves, which can propagate through empty space, even though according to classical physics, waves require a medium to travel through.

2. How did Maxwell resolve this contradiction?

Maxwell resolved this contradiction by introducing the concept of the electromagnetic field, which acts as the medium through which the electromagnetic waves can propagate. This field is present even in empty space and is responsible for the transmission of electromagnetic waves.

3. What impact did this contradiction have on the field of physics?

This contradiction led to a major shift in the understanding of electromagnetic phenomena and paved the way for the development of modern physics. It also played a crucial role in the development of Einstein's theory of relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. Can you explain the significance of Maxwell's equations in modern physics?

Maxwell's equations are considered one of the most fundamental and important equations in physics. They not only describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves but also provide a framework for understanding the relationship between electricity and magnetism. They have also been used to make numerous predictions and have been validated by experimental evidence, making them a cornerstone of modern physics.

5. Are there any unresolved contradictions in Maxwell's equations?

Yes, there are still some unresolved contradictions in Maxwell's equations, particularly in the relationship between classical electromagnetism and quantum mechanics. These unresolved issues have led to ongoing research and development in the field of physics, with the aim of further understanding and refining Maxwell's equations.