Is the Union of Two Intervals Convex?

• Thread starter symplectic_manifold
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Convex Sets
In summary, the proof for the fact that the interval I is convex goes like this. First, the condition is verified for two points in the interval. Then it is shown that if a hyperplane is drawn that includes the two points, then the condition holds for every point in the set. Finally, it is shown that the halfspace H is also convex.
symplectic_manifold
Hello! I've got some questions concerning convex sets.
We've had a lecture about convex sets this week, and got a some basic problems to solve. I think I can't use the material in the lecture to solve the problem. I'm just not sure about whether I fully understand the concept and can use it properly.
In the lecture the prof presented a proof for the fact that for every [itex]t\in\matbb{R}[/itex] the interval [itex]I=[0,t]:=\{s|s\in\mathbb{R},0\le{s}\le{t}\}[/itex] is convex.
The proof went like this.
Let [itex]s_1,s_2\in[0,t][/itex] and [itex]\lambda\in[0,1][/itex]. The following holds: [itex]0\le{s_1}[/itex] and [itex]s_2\le{t}[/itex].
[itex]\lambda{s_1}+(1-\lambda){s_2}\le\lambda{t}+(1-\lambda)t=t[/itex]. Hence, the interval is convex.
Now, the first question.
Why cannot we simply check whether the condition holds for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] or [itex]\lambda=1[/itex] ?
It's [itex]\lambda\cdot{0}+(1-\lambda)t[/itex]. Then for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] t is in I and for [itex]\lambda=1[/itex] 0 is in I.
It's now asked to show that a hyperplane [itex]E\subseteq\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], [itex]E:=\{(x_1,...,x_n)\in\mathbb{R}^n|a_1{x_1}+...+a_n{x_n}=b\}[/itex], where [itex]a_1,...,a_n,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex](a_1,...,a_n)\neq(0,...,0)[/itex] is a convex set.
Here, equally, it seems too easy just to put in two elements, say [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_n[/itex] and let [itex]\lambda[/itex] be either 0 or 1. If it's wrong to take this way, how can I show that E is convex differently?

Physics news on Phys.org
symplectic_manifold said:
Hello! I've got some questions concerning convex sets.
We've had a lecture about convex sets this week, and got a some basic problems to solve. I think I can't use the material in the lecture to solve the problem. I'm just not sure about whether I fully understand the concept and can use it properly.
In the lecture the prof presented a proof for the fact that for every [itex]t\in\matbb{R}[/itex] the interval [itex]I=[0,t]:=\{s|s\in\mathbb{R},0\le{s}\le{t}\}[/itex] is convex.
The proof went like this.
Let [itex]s_1,s_2\in[0,t][/itex] and [itex]\lambda\in[0,1][/itex]. The following holds: [itex]0\le{s_1}[/itex] and [itex]s_2\le{t}[/itex].
[itex]\lambda{s_1}+(1-\lambda){s_2}\le\lambda{t}+(1-\lambda)t=t[/itex]. Hence, the interval is convex.
Now, the first question.
Why cannot we simply check whether the condition holds for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] or [itex]\lambda=1[/itex] ?
It's [itex]\lambda\cdot{0}+(1-\lambda)t[/itex]. Then for [itex]\lambda=0[/itex] t is in I and for [itex]\lambda=1[/itex] 0 is in I.
You are given that the two points corresponding to[itex]\lambda= 0[/itex] and [itex]\lambda= 1[/itex] are in the set! The thing you want to prove is that every point on the interval between them is in the set- that corresponds to [itex]0< \lamba< 1[/itex].
Suppose you were asked to prove that the set [0, 1)union(1,2] was not convex. What would you do?

It's now asked to show that a hyperplane [itex]E\subseteq\mathbb{R}^n[/itex], [itex]E:=\{(x_1,...,x_n)\in\mathbb{R}^n|a_1{x_1}+...+a_n{x_n}=b\}[/itex], where [itex]a_1,...,a_n,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex](a_1,...,a_n)\neq(0,...,0)[/itex] is a convex set.
Here, equally, it seems too easy just to put in two elements, say [itex]x_1[/itex] and [itex]x_n[/itex] and let [itex]\lambda[/itex] be either 0 or 1. If it's wrong to take this way, how can I show that E is convex differently?
First, x1 and x2 are not "elements" of Rn. They are simply components of a single point. You would have to take two arbitrary points, say (x1,x,...,xn) and (y1, y2, ... , yn) in the set and show that any point on the line segment between them (which can be written (x1+ [itex]\lambda[/itex](y1-x1), x2+ [itex]\lambda[/itex](y2-x2), ..., xn+ [itex]\lambda[/itex](yn-n1)) for [itex]0< \lambda< 1[/itex]. [itex]\lamba[/itex]= 0 or 1 just gives the points you started with. By hypothesis, they are in the set.

Thanks for your reply!

OK, for the union [itex]I=[0,1)\cup(1,2][/itex] is it right if I do it this way?:
Let [itex]s_1,s_2\in{I}[/itex] be two elements, such that [itex]0\le{s_1}<1[/itex] and [itex]1<s_2\le{2}[/itex]. If the union is convex, then the following holds: [itex]0\le\lambda{s_1}+(1-\lambda)s_2\le{2}[/itex]. We have [itex]0\le\lambda{s_1}<1[/itex], but at the same time [itex]1<(1-\lambda)s_2\le{2}[/itex] does not hold for all [itex]\lambda\in[0,1][/itex], since [itex]0\le(1-\lambda)s_2<1[/itex] for some [itex]\lambda\in[0,1][/itex]. This means that [itex]s_2\notin{I}[/itex] for some [itex]\lambda\in[0,1][/itex], which contradicts the assumption.

Now to the hyperplane.
So you mean that given two points [itex](x_1,...,x_n)[/itex] and [itex](y_1,...,y_n)[/itex] [itex]\lambda(x_1,...,x_n)+(1-\lambda)(y_1,...,y_n)[/itex] must be in the set, because [itex]a_1(\lambda{x_1}+(1-\lambda)y_1)+...+a_n(\lambda{x_n}+(1-\lambda)y_n)=b[/itex] for any two such points? As it seems from what you said we don't have to prove this last statement about the sum. Why? I mean it's clear that for every [itex]a_1,...,a_n,\in\mathbb{R}[/itex], [itex](a_1,...,a_n)\neq(0,...,0)[/itex] there is always a real number b, is it really enough for the proof?

What about half space [itex]H: =\{(x_1,...,x_n)\in\mathbb{R}^n|a_1{x_1}+...+a_n{x_n}\ge{b}\}[/itex], where [itex]a_1,...,a_n,b\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] and [itex](a_1,...,a_n)\neq(0,...,0)[/itex], which is one part of the space split by the hyperplane? Does the check for convexity of the hyperplane automatically yield the same result for this halfspace, i.e. the fact that it is convex too, or is there anything more to be done here?

Last edited:

Related to Is the Union of Two Intervals Convex?

1. What is a convex set?

A convex set is a subset of a vector space in which any two points in the set can be connected by a straight line that lies entirely within the set. In simpler terms, a convex set is a set that does not have any indentations or holes.

2. How is a convex set different from a non-convex set?

A convex set is different from a non-convex set in that a convex set is always connected, whereas a non-convex set can have holes or indentations that make it disconnected. Additionally, any line segment connecting two points in a convex set will also lie entirely within the set, while this may not be true for a non-convex set.

3. What are some examples of convex sets?

Some examples of convex sets include: circles, spheres, triangles, squares, and rectangles. Any polygon with no indentations or "dents" is also a convex set.

4. How are convex sets used in mathematics?

Convex sets are used in many areas of mathematics, including geometry, functional analysis, and optimization. They are particularly useful in optimization problems as they have unique properties that make them easier to analyze and solve.

5. Can a convex set be unbounded?

Yes, a convex set can be unbounded. An unbounded convex set is a set that extends infinitely in at least one direction. A common example of an unbounded convex set is a half-plane, which extends infinitely in one direction but is still connected and does not have any indentations or holes.