Is the traditional method for calculating molar heat of dissolution accurate?

• Thread starter PVnRT81
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Heat
In summary: Sometimes it is because the heat of dissolution is not really relevant to the actual calculation (e.g. when you dissolve something in water at room temperature). Sometimes it is just done that way because it is more intuitive that way.In summary, the instructor's solution assumes that the heat of dissolution doesn't matter, which is not completely accurate.
PVnRT81

Homework Statement

Suppose I have a solute of mass "x" grams. I dissolve this in "y" mL of water. The temperature of the water increases by "z" degrees Celsius.

I calculate the molar heat of dissolution of the solute by measuring, using q=mwatercΔt, the heat absorbed by water (in kJ), and then dividing by the moles of solute.

The above mentioned method is found in many reference textbooks as well as various sources across the web.

However, my science instructor insists that this method is wrong, and to calculate the heat transferred, you should include the mass of the solute as well.

Thus, when measuring the heat absorbed it should look like this:

q=msolute + solventcΔt

I find this quite unintuitive; I don't agree with my instructor on this matter. Am I right or wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Wrong.

Imagine that after dissolution finished you are adding another, identical amount of heat, this time without dissolving anything. What mass would you use now to calculate Δt?

(To be exact your instructor is in a way also wrong, but (s)he is much closer to the correct answer. Their solution assumes cp didn't change, which is not exactly true.)

Borek said:
Wrong.

Imagine that after dissolution finished you are adding another, identical amount of heat, this time without dissolving anything. What mass would you use now to calculate Δt?

(To be exact your instructor is in a way also wrong, but (s)he is much closer to the correct answer. Their solution assumes cp didn't change, which is not exactly true.)

I would use the mass that is gaining heat - which is the total mass in this case. But in the original scenario, the solute is losing heat, and the solvent is gaining heat... so, wouldn't it make more sense to use the mass of water only because the solute itself is not gaining heat?

Last edited:
Solute is not losing heat! Heat is produced by the dissolution, and it has to heat up both water and the solute. Otherwise after the dissolution you will have a hot solvent and cold solute - which is apparently not the case.

Borek said:
Solute is not losing heat! Heat is produced by the dissolution, and it has to heat up both water and the solute. Otherwise after the dissolution you will have a hot solvent and cold solute - which is apparently not the case.

Ah! That clears it up... however, I am still curious as to why some websites/textbooks choose not to include the mass of the solute.

Sometimes it is negligible (much smaller than the mass of the solvent).

Likes 1 person

Related to Is the traditional method for calculating molar heat of dissolution accurate?

What is the definition of "Heat of Dissolution"?

The heat of dissolution, also known as the enthalpy of dissolution, is the amount of heat absorbed or released when a substance dissolves in a solvent.

What factors affect the heat of dissolution?

The heat of dissolution is affected by the nature of the solute and the solvent, the concentration of the solute, and the temperature of the system.

How is the heat of dissolution calculated?

The heat of dissolution is calculated by subtracting the enthalpy of the solution from the enthalpy of the separate components. It can also be determined experimentally using a calorimeter.

Why is the heat of dissolution important?

The heat of dissolution is important in understanding the thermodynamics of a solution and how it affects the solubility of a substance. It also has practical applications in industries such as pharmaceuticals and chemical manufacturing.

Can the heat of dissolution be negative?

Yes, the heat of dissolution can be either positive or negative depending on whether heat is absorbed or released during the dissolution process. A negative heat of dissolution indicates an exothermic process, while a positive heat of dissolution indicates an endothermic process.