Is the trace of a linear operator independent of orthonormal basis?

In summary, the trace of a linear operator is not, in general, independent of the choice of orthonormal basis.
homology
Hi,

I came across a line (http://www.springerlink.com/content/t523l30514754578/) about how the trace of a linear operator is not, in general, independent of the choice of orthonormal basis. The link states that such an operator may have a trace that converges for one basis but not another.

This sounds really neat but I haven't been able to find much about it, other than to learn that if you want your trace to exist and you want it independent of an orthonormal basis then you should restrict to nuclear operators.

Ultimately I'm looking for a counterexample, where the trace converges for one basis and not the other. But I'll take anything at this point.

Cheers,

Kevin

Physics news on Phys.org
Hmm, this must be a good one if no one seems to know. Is anyone else interested in finding out? Maybe we could split a list of functional analysis texts and slowly start combing? I've emailed a professor I know who has some experience in functional analysis, but I don't know any personally. Though I'm on the verge of emailing random analysts.

Cheers,

Kevin

Well, it seems the obvious thing to do is to construct a non-nuclear operator and play with it.

(I'm using wikipedia's Nuclear Operator page)

What's a good infinite-dimensional space? How about all square-summable sequences. Also, I'll pick the simplest orthonormal basis and the simplest sequence that converges to zero, but whose sum diverges.

Let dn be the sequence with a 1 in the n-th position, and 0 elsewhere.

Then, define
[tex]L(s) = \sum_{n = 1}^{+\infty} \frac{1}{n} s(n) d_n[/tex]​
(where s(n) is the n-th term of s)

(This is well-defined, right? We should check)

If we consider the orthonormal basis <dm>, the trace would be infinite:
[tex]\sum_m \langle d_m, L(d_m) \rangle = \sum_{m,n} \frac{1}{n} d_m(n) \langle d_m, d_n\rangle = \sum_n \frac{1}{n} = +\infty[/tex]​

If we instead consider the basis [itex]e_m = i^m d_m[/itex], we get
[tex]\sum_m \langle e_m, L(e_m) \rangle = \sum_{m,n} \frac{1}{n} e_m(n) \langle e_m, d_n\rangle =
\sum_n \frac{1}{n} (-1)^n = -\log 2[/tex]​

And now I think the problem seems clear -- if we slip in some other set of constants, we get yet another sum. We could probably reorder the basis to reorder the sum to change it's value (its conditionally convergent, not absolutely). And so forth. I haven't even tried mixing the basis elements yet (i.e. with linear combinations)!

Related to Is the trace of a linear operator independent of orthonormal basis?

1. What is a nuclear operator?

A nuclear operator is a person who controls and monitors the operation of nuclear power plants, ensuring the safe and efficient production of nuclear energy. They are responsible for controlling the flow of nuclear materials, monitoring equipment, and responding to any abnormalities or emergencies.

2. What does a nuclear operator do on a daily basis?

A nuclear operator's daily tasks may include monitoring and adjusting reactor controls, conducting routine maintenance and inspections, analyzing data and readings, and performing emergency procedures if necessary. They also work closely with other team members to ensure the safe and efficient operation of the nuclear power plant.

3. What qualifications are required to become a nuclear operator?

To become a nuclear operator, one typically needs a high school diploma or equivalent, as well as specialized training in nuclear technology and safety procedures. Many operators also have a degree in engineering or a related field. Additionally, they must pass a rigorous background check and obtain a license from the Nuclear Regulatory Commission.

4. What is trace in nuclear power plants?

In nuclear power plants, trace refers to the process of tracking and monitoring the movement of nuclear materials throughout the facility. This is done to ensure the safe and secure handling of radioactive materials and to prevent any potential accidents or breaches.

5. What safety measures are in place for nuclear operators and trace?

Nuclear operators and trace are subject to strict safety regulations and protocols, which include regular training and drills, thorough background checks, and continuous monitoring of equipment and processes. Additionally, nuclear power plants have multiple layers of safety systems in place to prevent accidents and mitigate any potential risks.