Is the System with Nonlinear ODEs at Steady State (0,0) Stable?

In summary: So if ##x_1## is small, then ##x^3_1## is much smaller and can be ignored. The linearized equations would be##dz_1/dt=-z_1+z_2####dz_2/dt=2z_2##which would be stable.

Homework Statement

Find whether this system is stable or unstable at the steady state (x1,x2)=(0,0)
dx1/dt = -x1+2sin(x1)+x2
dx2/dt=2sin(x2)

Homework Equations

upload_2014-12-15_23-57-6.png

The Attempt at a Solution

z1=x1-0
z2=x2-0
dz1/dt=-z1+z2+2z1
dz2/dt=2z2

Jacobian =
[ 1 1 ]
[ 0 2 ]
so the system is unstable.

This problem is from my notes from class; I'm not 100% certain that it is written correctly. I am very confused about the part where z1 is set equal to x1 (I believe this is called linearization)? Could someone please clarify this step for me and how on earth
dx2/dt=2sin(x2) becomes dz2/dt=2z2 ?

The rest is pretty straightforward.

Attachments

• upload_2014-12-15_23-29-15.png
    upload_2014-12-15_23-29-15.png
    1.8 KB · Views: 432
  • upload_2014-12-15_23-32-1.png
    upload_2014-12-15_23-32-1.png
    1.6 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
582153236 said:

Homework Statement

Find whether this system is stable or unstable at the steady state (x1,x2)=(0,0)
dx1/dt = -x1+2sin(x1)+x2
dx2/dt=2sin(x2)

Homework Equations

View attachment 76651

The Attempt at a Solution

z1=x1-0
z2=x2-0
dz1/dt=-z1+z2+2z1
dz2/dt=2z2

Jacobian =
[ 1 1 ]
[ 0 2 ]
so the system is unstable.

This problem is from my notes from class; I'm not 100% certain that it is written correctly. I am very confused about the part where z1 is set equal to x1 (I believe this is called linearization)? Could someone please clarify this step for me and how on earth
dx2/dt=2sin(x2) becomes dz2/dt=2z2 ?

The rest is pretty straightforward.

If ##z_1=x_1-0## then ##x_1=z_1##. I don't see any problem with that. And the series expansion of ##sin(z)## around ##z=0## is ##z-z^3/3!+z^5/5!+...##. The linearization part is where you ignore the higher powers of ##z## and just replace ##sin(z)## with ##z##, since if ##z## is very close to 0 then the higher powers of ##z## are much smaller than ##z##.

Likes 582153236
Dick said:
If ##z_1=x_1-0## then ##x_1=z_1##. I don't see any problem with that. And the series expansion of ##sin(z)## around ##z=0## is ##z-z^3/3!+z^5/5!+...##. The linearization part is where you ignore the higher powers of ##z## and just replace ##sin(z)## with ##z##, since if ##z## is very close to 0 then the higher powers of ##z## are much smaller than ##z##.
Thanks!
If instead I had dx1/dt=-x13+x2, would it be valid to keep z1 as it is defined now (z1=x1-0) and would dz1/dt=-z13+x2 be true? Since the first term of the series expansion of x3 is x3

Last edited:
582153236 said:
Thanks!
If instead I had dx1/dt=-x13+x2, would it be valid to keep z1 as it is defined now (z1=x1-0) and would dz1/dt=-z13+x2 be true? Since the first term of the series expansion of x3 is x3

No, 'linearization' mean you only keep first powers of variables around the steady state. You drop the higher powers.

Related to Is the System with Nonlinear ODEs at Steady State (0,0) Stable?

1. What is a nonlinear ODE?

A nonlinear ODE, or ordinary differential equation, is a mathematical equation that describes how a variable changes over time, based on the current value of the variable and its derivatives. Unlike linear ODEs, which have a constant rate of change, nonlinear ODEs have a changing rate of change that is dependent on the current value of the variable.

2. Why is the stability of nonlinear ODEs important?

The stability of nonlinear ODEs is important because it determines whether the solutions to the equations will remain bounded or become unbounded over time. Stable systems will have solutions that remain close to their initial values, while unstable systems will have solutions that diverge over time.

3. How is stability determined for nonlinear ODEs?

Stability of nonlinear ODEs is typically determined by analyzing the behavior of the solutions near a given equilibrium point. This can involve linearizing the equations or using numerical methods to approximate the solutions.

4. What are some methods for stabilizing nonlinear ODEs?

There are several methods for stabilizing nonlinear ODEs, including Lyapunov stability analysis, feedback control, and input/output stability analysis. These methods involve manipulating the system's parameters or inputs to ensure that the solutions remain bounded over time.

5. How are nonlinear ODEs applied in real-world situations?

Nonlinear ODEs are commonly used in many fields of science and engineering to model complex systems and phenomena. They can be used to describe the behavior of physical systems, chemical reactions, population dynamics, and many other processes. Understanding the stability of these equations is crucial for predicting and controlling the behavior of these systems in real-world situations.