Is the Sum of a Geometric Series Always Equal to 2?

In summary: Hi Folks, I have this here geometric series which I'm supposed to find the sum of: Given \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{2n+1}{2^n}I the sum into sub-sums\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} 2^{-n} + \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}^{n-1} taking 2^{-n}Since x^n converges towards 1/1+x therefore I differentiate on both sides1/(1+x)^2 = \sum
Mathman23
Hi Folks,

I have this here geometric series which I'm supposed to find the sum of:

Given

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{2n+1}{2^n}[/tex]

I the sum into sub-sums

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} 2^{-n} + \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}^{n-1} [/tex]

taking [tex]2^{-n}[/tex]

Since [tex]x^n[/tex] converges towards 1/1+x therefore I differentiate on both sides

[tex]1/(1+x)^2 = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n \cdot 2^{-n} x^{n-1}[/tex]

I multiply with x on both sides and obtain

[tex]x/(1+x)^2 = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n * 2^{-n} x^n[/tex]

if I set x = 1 on both sides I get

[tex](1/4) ? = \sum_{n=1} ^{\infty} n*2^{-n} = 2[/tex]

My teacher says that the expression has to give 2 on the left side, and not (1/4).

What am I doing wrong? Any surgestions?

Best Regards
Fred

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first line is wrong. When you break your sum up into two sums, you don't do it right. Also, when you say xn converges towards 1/1+x, I suppose you mean [itex]\sum x^n[/itex] converges to 1/1+x. However, this is wrong, it converges to 1/1-x. After that, I have no idea what you're doing. I don't know where you're getting the "=" sign from. Sorry, I think just about everything in your post makes no sense.

is not a geometric series!

Mathman23 said:
Hi Folks,

I have this here geometric series which I'm supposed to find the sum of:

Given

I the sum into sub-sums

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} 2^{-n} + \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{1}{2}^{n-1} [/tex]

taking [tex]2^{-n}[/tex]

Since [tex]x^n[/tex] converges towards 1/1+x therefore I differentiate on both sides

[tex]1/(1+x)^2 = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n \cdot 2^{-n} x^{n-1}[/tex]

I multiply with x on both sides and obtain

[tex]x/(1+x)^2 = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} n * 2^{-n} x^n[/tex]

if I set x = 1 on both sides I get

[tex](1/4) ? = \sum_{n=1} ^{\infty} n*2^{-n} = 2[/tex]

My teacher says that the expression has to give 2 on the left side, and not (1/4).

What am I doing wrong? Any surgestions?

Best Regards
Fred

Firstly, you separated the sum wrongly. Here's the correct version :

[tex]\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty} \frac{2n+1}{2^n} = \sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}(n.2^{1-n})+\sum_{n=0} ^{\infty}(2^{-n})[/tex]

Hint : For the first part-sum on the RHS, try dividing by 2 then subtracting away from the original part-sum.

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:

is not a geometric series!

Actually, it works out to be one ! :biggrin:

Related to Is the Sum of a Geometric Series Always Equal to 2?

1. What is a geometric series?

A geometric series is a sequence of numbers in which each term is obtained by multiplying the previous term by a constant ratio. For example, the geometric series 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ... has a common ratio of 2.

2. How do you find the sum of a geometric series?

The formula for finding the sum of a geometric series is S = a/(1-r), where S is the sum, a is the first term, and r is the common ratio. Alternatively, you can use the formula S = (a(1-r^n))/(1-r), where n is the number of terms in the series.

3. Can a geometric series have a negative common ratio?

Yes, a geometric series can have a negative common ratio. This means that the terms of the series will alternate between positive and negative values. For example, the series 1, -2, 4, -8, 16, ... has a common ratio of -2.

4. What is the difference between a finite and infinite geometric series?

A finite geometric series has a limited number of terms, while an infinite geometric series has an unlimited number of terms. The sum of a finite geometric series can be calculated using the formula mentioned earlier, while the sum of an infinite geometric series can only be calculated if the common ratio is between -1 and 1.

5. How is a geometric series used in real life?

Geometric series are used in various fields of science, such as physics, biology, and economics. They can be used to model exponential growth and decay, such as population growth or radioactive decay. They are also used in financial calculations, such as compound interest and annuities.