Is the Solution sin(t)H(t) for SHO a Particular Solution?

In summary, the solution to the differential equation ##x(t)''+x(t)=\delta(t)## is given by ##x=sin(t)H(t)## where ##H## is the Heaviside function.
Coffee_
So we have derived that for the differential equation:

##x(t)''+x(t)=\delta(t)##

The solution is given by ##x=sin(t)H(t)## where ##H## is the Heaviside function.

To find this we assumed that the system was in rest before ##t=0## and that position and velocity are continious.

QUESTION: I am pretty sure that this ##sin(t)H(t)## is just a particular solution, is it correct to say that if one doesn't assume that the system in rest the general solution is given by ##x=Acos(t)+Bsin(t)+H(t)sin(t)##? So basically, is the solution we found in class a particular solution and thus can I always add a homogeneous solution to it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, but generally you will want your Green's functions to be causal, i.e., the effect of the impulse only shows after the impulse. This is also required for using the Green's function to adapt to homogeneous initial conditions (you can also use it for inhomogeneous initial conditions using a Green's function fulfilling homogeneous initial conditions, but that is another story).

The reason I was asking is that for a problem of type ##q''(t)+q(t)=f(t)## we wrote down the general solution as :

##q(t)=Acos(t)+Bsin(t) + \int_{-\infty}^{+\infty} G(t-t') f(t') dt'## (1)

If the green's function was not strictly a particular solution but a general solution to ##q''(t)+q(t)=\delta(t)## then the ##Acos(t)+Bsin(t)## term wouldn't be required because it would implictly be sitting in the integral.

Last edited:
Well, since you would typically define your Green's function to be zero before the impulse, it would not be a matter of having the possibility to add any homogeneous solution (this would mess with the initial conditions required from the Green's function). If you have enough initial conditions, you cannot add things in that manner and the Green's function typically comes with enough initial conditions to determine it uniquely. You cannot add a homogeneous solution to it because this would violate the initial conditions imposed on the Green's function.

And hence, Green's function is only a particular solution to the ##q''(t)+q(t)=\delta{t}## problem, and thus in equation (1) above the integral is only a linear combination of particular solutions and so, I have to explictly add the homogenous part to make it most general. I think I get it thanks.

Yes, also note that your time interval would usually not be from minus infinity, but you would impose some initial conditions at a fixed time. These can also be taked care of with the Green's function, using it to describe boundary terms.

Related to Is the Solution sin(t)H(t) for SHO a Particular Solution?

1. What is the purpose of Green's function for SHO?

The purpose of Green's function for SHO (simple harmonic oscillator) is to find the general solution to the differential equation that describes the motion of the oscillator. It allows us to express the solution as a linear combination of the homogeneous solution and an inhomogeneous solution, making it easier to solve for the particular solution.

2. How is Green's function for SHO derived?

Green's function for SHO is derived by solving the differential equation for the inhomogeneous solution with a Dirac delta function as the driving force. This results in a function that represents the response of the system to an impulse force at a specific time.

3. Can Green's function for SHO be used for other systems besides simple harmonic oscillators?

Green's function for SHO is specifically derived for the simple harmonic oscillator system, but the concept can be extended to other systems as well. For example, it can be used for damped harmonic oscillators or other systems with a linear restoring force. However, the derivation and form of the function may be different for each system.

4. How is Green's function for SHO related to the transfer function?

Green's function for SHO and the transfer function are closely related. The transfer function is the Laplace transform of Green's function, which means that it can be used to solve for the output of a system given an input. In this way, Green's function can be used to analyze the behavior of a system in the frequency domain.

5. What are the limitations of using Green's function for SHO?

One limitation of Green's function for SHO is that it is only applicable to linear systems, meaning that the restoring force is proportional to the displacement. It also assumes that the system is time-invariant, meaning that the properties of the system do not change over time. Additionally, it may not be suitable for more complex systems with multiple degrees of freedom.