Is the series (n!)/(n^n) convergent or divergent?

In summary, Joe_cool2 tried several methods to see if the sum of (n!)/(n^n) converges or diverges. Unfortunately, none of the methods he tried provided a conclusive answer. He will need to try a different approach to determine if the sum of (n!)/(n^n) converges.
joe_cool2
I am to find whether the sum of (n!)/(n^n) converges or diverges. I tried both the limit comparison test, and a regular comparison test. (These are the only types of tests I am allowed to use.) So I tried several approaches:

Approach #1: (n!)/(n^n) > 1/(n^n)

Normally we use a setup like this to prove something with a p-series. However, the expression on the left side of the inequality isn't a p-series.

Approach #2: (n!)/(n^n) < n!

While this expression is true, it is not useful because the formula for the series is less than, not greater than, the series that is known to diverge.

Approach #3 (Limit comparison): an = (n!)/(n^n) ; bn = 1/(n^n)

an/bn = n!

The limit here is, unfortunately, infinite, and I have to stop here.

What other approach can I take that would result in more success?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey joe_cool2 and welcome to the forums.

My intuitive guess is that your function will converge. One test to show this that seems appropriate would be the ratio test. Take a look at this page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratio_test

Hello, thanks for the welcome. It is much appreciated.

I am perfectly aware that it is often wise to use the ratio test in these situations with n!. However, I have been restrained to using specifically those two techniques mentioned earlier. Any ideas?

The idea is to compare your function to a geometric series. That is, you have to find an [itex]0\leq a<1[/itex] such that

[tex]\frac{n!}{n^n}\leq a^n[/tex]

for all n. If you can find such an a, then your series will converge. So we need to find an a such that

[tex]\frac{n!}{(an)^n}<1[/tex]

Try to show that the left hand side is decreasing from a certain point on.

Whenever factorial is involved in series, the ratio test is your best bet. :smile:

sharks said:
Whenever factorial is involved in series, the ratio test is your best bet. :smile:

He's not allowed to use it. Please read the thread first before responding.

Can you show that [itex]\sum\frac{n^n}{(n!)^n}[/itex] converges? If you can, then use the limit comparison test with that and your series.

Related to Is the series (n!)/(n^n) convergent or divergent?

1. What is the difference between convergent and divergent?

Convergent and divergent are two terms used to describe the behavior of a series, which is a sequence of numbers added together. Convergent means that the series has a finite sum, while divergent means that the series does not have a finite sum.

2. How can you determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

To determine if a series is convergent or divergent, you can use mathematical tests such as the comparison test, ratio test, or root test. These tests involve analyzing the behavior of the terms in the series and can help determine if the series will have a finite sum or not.

3. What are some real-life examples of convergent and divergent series?

A real-life example of a convergent series is the distance traveled by a car that is driving at a constant speed. Each term in the series represents the distance traveled in a specific time interval, and the sum of all the terms would give the total distance traveled. A real-life example of a divergent series is the population growth of a species with unlimited resources. As the population increases, the terms in the series also increase, and the sum becomes infinite.

4. Can a series be both convergent and divergent?

No, a series cannot be both convergent and divergent. A series can only have one behavior, either convergent or divergent, but not both. However, a series can be conditionally convergent, meaning that it is convergent only when certain conditions are met.

5. Why is it important to determine if a series is convergent or divergent?

Determining if a series is convergent or divergent is important because it allows us to understand the behavior and properties of the series. It also helps us make predictions and draw conclusions about the sum or limit of the series. In addition, the convergence or divergence of a series has practical applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.