Is the Provided Solution Correct for the Partial Fractions Decomposition?

C(x+1)(x+1)^2, as C had the (x-2) denominator.which if i was to manually find a common denominator wouldn't make sense,quess i shouldn't take shortcutsi know where i went wrong now,thanks!In summary,
Hypochondriac
Im going to Durham uni in oct to do physics, and the nice people of the physics department sent me some maths questions to do before I arrive.

One of the partial fractions questions looked simple enough, but when I did it, I got it wrong...so with the answer they give, i worked back to the question, and they didnt match so I was wondering if it was something I did wrong, or something they did

the question was express (4x+1)/(x+1)^2(x-2) in partial fractions.

so i did the usual 4x+1 ≡ A(x+1)(x-2) + B(x+1)^2(x-2) + C(x+1)^3
then I chose to substitute x=2, as to eliminate A and B,
when I did this I got 9 = 27C, so C = 1/3
in the answer they wouldnve had C as 1.

Their full answer for the record was:

1/(x+1)^2 - 1/(x+1) + 1/(x-2)

but when substituting 1, -1 and 1 in for A B and C, I get 4x^2 + 4x +1 instead of just 4x+1...

whos wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
most of my answer came from memory seen as i gave my textbooks back to my old school.
and from what i remeber when there's a squared term ie (x+1)^2, in the partial fractions one has the denominator (x+1) and one has (x+1)^2
then i multiplied the letter with that denominator by the denominators it doesn't have.
so the (x+1)^3 came from C(x+1)(x+1)^2, as C had the (x-2) denominator.

which if i was to manually find a common denominator wouldn't make sense,
quess i shouldn't take shortcuts

i know where i went wrong now,
thanks!

I've just done the problem, and I get the same answer as Durham. I think I can see your problem, though. You seem to have multiplied the RHS by an extra [tex](x+1)[/tex] - I used to make that mistake too!

I'll try to show you why you don't need to multiply by the extra [tex](x+1)[/tex].

You correctly said that:

[tex]\frac{4x + 1}{(x+1)^2 (x-2)} = \frac{A}{(x+1)^2} + \frac{B}{(x+1)} + \frac{C}{(x-2)} [/tex]

What you want to do is make sure the denominators of all of the fractions on the RHS are the same.

So, you need to multiple fraction "B" by [tex](x+1)(x-2)[/tex] so that it has the same denominator as the other two - by that I mean it has a [tex](x+1)^2[/tex] like fraction A, and a [tex](x-2)[/tex] like fraction C. Then, you need to multiply fraction C by [tex](x+1)^2[/tex] so that it contains the same numerator as B, and the same [tex](x+1)^2[/tex] factor as A. Now, to make fraction A the same as the other two, you need to multiply it by [tex](x-2)[/tex]. I hope this makes sense.

If we do it your way, we end up with:

[tex]\frac{4x + 1}{(x+1)^2 (x-2)} = \frac{A(x-2)(x+1) + B(x+1)^2(x-2) + C(x+1)^3}{(x+1)^3 (x-2)}[/tex]

Which is correct (because the x+1 cancel on the RHS), but you can't say that;

[tex]4x+1 \equiv A(x-2)(x+1) + B(x+1)^2(x-2) + C(x+1)^3[/tex] because the numerators of the L- and R-HS are not the same.

I seem to have rambled on way too much, but I hope it's helped

Edit: Sorry, I got sidetracked, and ended up being posted way too late!

Last edited:
Hypochondriac said:
Im going to Durham uni in oct to do physics, and the nice people of the physics department sent me some maths questions to do before I arrive.

One of the partial fractions questions looked simple enough, but when I did it, I got it wrong...so with the answer they give, i worked back to the question, and they didnt match so I was wondering if it was something I did wrong, or something they did

the question was express (4x+1)/(x+1)^2(x-2) in partial fractions.
Okay, you know that
[tex]\frac{4x+1}{(x+1)^2(x-2)}= \frac{A}{x+1}+ \frac{B}{(x+1)^2}+\frac{C}{x-2}[/tex]
and multiplying by that denominator, (x+1)2(x-2) gives
4x+ 1= A(x+1)(x-2)+ B(x-2)+ C(x+1)2.

so i did the usual 4x+1 ≡ A(x+1)(x-2) + B(x+1)^2(x-2) + C(x+1)^3
No, that doesn't look right, even allowing for differences in what denominator A, B, C had. For one thing, since you only had (x+1)2 in the denominator, you can't have (x+1)3!
then I chose to substitute x=2, as to eliminate A and B,
when I did this I got 9 = 27C, so C = 1/3
in the answer they wouldnve had C as 1.

Their full answer for the record was:

1/(x+1)^2 - 1/(x+1) + 1/(x-2)

but when substituting 1, -1 and 1 in for A B and C, I get 4x^2 + 4x +1 instead of just 4x+1...
Starting from there, you will have, getting "common denominators"
[tex]\frac{x-2}{(x-2)(x+1)^2}- \frac{(x+1)(x-2)}{(x-2)(x+1)^2}+ \frac{(x+1)^2}{(x-2)(x+1)^2}= \frac{x-2- x^2+ x+ 2+ x^2+ 2x+ 1}{(x-2)(x+1)^2}= \frac{4+1}{(x-2)(x+1)^2}[/tex]
as wished.

whos wrong?
Where did you get that (x+1)2 in the second term and and (x+1)3 in the last term?

Related to Is the Provided Solution Correct for the Partial Fractions Decomposition?

1. What are partial fractions?

Partial fractions are a method used in mathematics to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration and simplification of the function.

2. When are partial fractions used?

Partial fractions are often used in calculus and other branches of mathematics to solve integration problems involving rational functions. They are also used to simplify complex fractions and perform other algebraic manipulations.

3. How do I decompose a rational function into partial fractions?

To decompose a rational function into partial fractions, you first need to factor the denominator into linear and irreducible quadratic factors. Then, you set up a system of equations using the coefficients of each factor and solve for the unknown constants in the partial fractions.

4. What are the types of partial fractions?

The two main types of partial fractions are proper fractions, where the degree of the numerator is less than the degree of the denominator, and improper fractions, where the degree of the numerator is equal to or greater than the degree of the denominator.

5. Are there any special cases when using partial fractions?

Yes, there are a few special cases when using partial fractions. These include repeated linear factors, repeated irreducible quadratic factors, and when the numerator of the rational function is a polynomial of degree equal to or greater than the denominator.