Is the Product of Hausdorff Spaces Always Hausdorff?

• Thread starter emptyboat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Product
In summary, the conversation discusses the theorem that states if each space Xa(a∈A) is a Hausdorff space, then X=∏Xa is also a Hausdorff space in both the box and product topologies. The conversation also explores the concept of distinct points in X and how they relate to the Hausdorff property. It is mentioned that in the case of a product topology, there may be some points that are not disjoint, but this can be avoided by exploiting the value of the index.
emptyboat
Hello, everyone.

Theorem) If each space Xa(a∈A) is a Hausdorff space, then X=∏Xa is a Hausdorff space in both the box and product topologies.

I understand if a box topology, the theorem holds.
but if a product toplogy, I do not understand clearly.

I think if there are distinct points c,d in X, then Uc, Ud (arbitrary open sets in X contain c, d respectively) are equals Xa except for finitely many values of a, so Uc and Ud are not disjoint.
If I have a mistake, please point out it...

Physics news on Phys.org
Start with this: if c and d are different points of X then there is an index [tex]a\in A[/tex] for which the projections of c and d differ. Exploit this value of the index.

Thanks a lot, arkajad. I understand it.
if only one coordinate is different, they are disjoint.

Related to Is the Product of Hausdorff Spaces Always Hausdorff?

1. What is a Hausdorff space?

A Hausdorff space is a topological space in which any two distinct points have disjoint neighborhoods. This means that there exists a neighborhood around each point that does not contain the other point. It is named after mathematician Felix Hausdorff who introduced the concept in the early 20th century.

2. What is the product of Hausdorff spaces?

The product of Hausdorff spaces is a new topological space created by taking the Cartesian product of two or more Hausdorff spaces. It is a way of combining multiple Hausdorff spaces into one larger space.

3. Why is the product of Hausdorff spaces important?

The product of Hausdorff spaces is important because it allows us to study the properties of multiple spaces simultaneously. It is particularly useful in the study of topological and geometric structures, as well as in the construction of new spaces with desired properties.

4. What are the properties of the product of Hausdorff spaces?

The product of Hausdorff spaces inherits many of the properties of the individual spaces, such as compactness and connectedness. It is also Hausdorff, meaning that it satisfies the same separation axiom as the individual spaces. Additionally, it has a natural basis and subbasis, making it easy to work with and study.

5. How is the product of Hausdorff spaces used in practical applications?

The product of Hausdorff spaces has many practical applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and computer science. For example, in physics, it is used in the study of phase transitions and critical phenomena. In engineering, it is used in the design of efficient communication networks. In computer science, it is used in the development of algorithms for data compression and image processing.