Is the Preview Box Missing a Slider Bar for Long Posts in PF Forums?

• Thread starter SteamKing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    slider
In summary, the Preview window does not have a slider bar to scroll down to the end, and when you reply to a post, the previous message is quoted and the first few lines are displayed in the Preview box.
SteamKing
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
I just drafted a rather lengthy post which I wanted to Preview before posting. When I clicked on the Preview button, I got the first part of my post, but then I noticed there was no slider bar to scroll down to the end.

Is this feature supposed to be lacking from the Preview window? I specifically was replying to someone who had started a Conversation; most of my posts in the regular forums I haven't noticed a problem like this with the Preview window.

Physics news on Phys.org
SteamKing said:
I just drafted a rather lengthy post which I wanted to Preview before posting. When I clicked on the Preview button, I got the first part of my post, but then I noticed there was no slider bar to scroll down to the end.
Can you post a screenshot?

Greg Bernhardt said:
Can you post a screenshot?

Here it is:

Preview.jpg

The Preview Box itself can't be moved on the screen.

Thanks for looking into this, Greg.

Greg Bernhardt said:
Are you editing? Otherwise you shouldn't get the overlay.

I was not editing when I initially noticed the lack of a slider bar on the Preview box. I had drafted my reply on-screen, and I was using the Preview to check for typos, formatting, etc.

The screen shot I just sent was created by clicking the Reply button to my post, editing out the "QUOTE" tags, as if this were a new post, and then hitting the Preview button to make the screen capture. However, the Preview box appears on screen just as it did originally.

SteamKing said:
I was not editing when I initially noticed the lack of a slider bar on the Preview box. I had drafted my reply on-screen, and I was using the Preview to check for typos, formatting, etc.
When you preview from a new reply it should not open the overlay. I just get the preview on the page.

The reply button popped up an overlay?

I'm confused by your comments Greg. The previews have always looked like that for me, except when I'm editing a post I made earlier. So if I understand you correctly, what I see is the opposite of what you're saying. When I'm editing, things look very different. In particular, the preview is not in a pop-up window, and the LaTeX isn't rendered.

Edit: Now that I'm looking at the picture again, I see that the background is the type of thing that I see when I edit an existing post, not what I see when I write a new one. Hm maybe it also looks like that when you start a new thread. I will check... OK, done. This is what I see:

1. Replying to a post: The preview is in a pop-up. LaTeX is rendered correctly. Behind the preview window, you see the actual thread.
2. Editing a post: The editor is in a pop-up. If you click "more options" (which you have to do if you want to preview). You are taken to a different page with a different editor. The preview appears above the editor box. LaTeX isn't rendered.
3. Starting a new thread: Everything is very similar to when you edit and have clicked "more options" (but you don't actually have to click a "more options" button). The preview appears above the editor box. LaTeX is rendered correctly.

I have never gotten a result like SteamKing's screenshot, i.e. a preview window on a different background than the thread itself. I don't even understand what that background is.

Last edited:
Fredrik said:
I have never gotten a result like SteamKing's screenshot, i.e. a preview window on a different background than the thread itself. I don't even understand what that background is.

Frederik:
I don't know how it appeared either. Like I said, I was using this new 'Conversation' feature in PF 4.0 when all the fun started with the Preview box.

SteamKing

SteamKing said:
The Preview Box itself can't be moved on the screen.
It looks like the preview box is too large for your screen resolution.

Greg Bernhardt said:
It looks like the preview box is too large for your screen resolution.

There is something else I noticed about the Preview box when working in the PF forums.

If you reply to a post, the previous message is quoted and the first few lines are displayed in the Preview box when you write your reply. At this time, if the original message is more than a couple of lines long, the Preview box only displays the first few lines with an 'Expand' notice. There is no slider bar on the Preview box initially. When you click 'Expand' in Preview, a slider bar will appear, and you are able to scroll thru the quoted post and the reply, complete.

This problem may have occurred because when I drafted my reply post in the conversation, the OP was rather lengthy and I didn't want to quote it again, so I drafted my reply from scratch. When I went to Preview, there was nothing to 'Expand', hence, I think the Preview box was unable to supply the slider bar to allow me to see and preview a rather lengthy stand-alone post.

Related to Is the Preview Box Missing a Slider Bar for Long Posts in PF Forums?

1. What is a preview box?

A preview box is a small window or section of a larger image, video, or document that allows you to see a preview or sample of the full version. It is commonly used in software or media players.

2. Why does the preview box lack a slider bar?

The slider bar in a preview box is usually used to navigate through different sections of the full version. If the preview box lacks a slider bar, it may be because the full version is not available, or it is a design choice to only show a specific section of the full version.

3. Can I still navigate through the full version without a slider bar in the preview box?

It depends on the design of the preview box. Some preview boxes may have other navigation options such as buttons or arrows to move through the full version, while others may not allow navigation at all.

4. Is there a way to add a slider bar to the preview box?

If the preview box is part of a software or media player, the ability to add a slider bar may depend on the customization options available. If it is a standalone preview box, it may be possible to add a slider bar through coding or using a different preview box design.

5. Are there any alternative ways to view the full version without a slider bar in the preview box?

Again, this may depend on the design of the preview box. Some may have a button or link to open the full version in a separate window or tab, while others may not have any alternative viewing options. It is best to check with the creator or developer of the preview box for alternative ways to view the full version.