Is the point on the line? Test with vector equation [x,y] = [2,-3] + t[4,7]

• Thread starter DespicableMe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Line Point
In summary, to determine if a point P is on the line [x,y] = [2,-3] + t[4,7], solve for t in the equation using the given point. If t can be found to make the equation true, then the point is on the line. Remember that r0 is just a specific vector and corresponds to the point when t = 0.
DespicableMe
Determine if each point P is on the line [x,y] = [2,-3] + t[4,7]

a) P(-2,-10)

b) P(6,5)

c) p(10,14)

d) P(4, 0.5)

Answers: Yes, No, No, Yes

We just learned this today and I'm not sure of the difference between vector r and vector "r not" from r = r0 + tm. I'm not sure where to substitute the given points.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind, I get it now.
We solve for x and y in the original equation using parametric equations, then isolate for t in the x equation. Substitute that into the "t" in the "y" equation and then sub in the points.

DespicableMe said:
Determine if each point P is on the line [x,y] = [2,-3] + t[4,7]

a) P(-2,-10)

b) P(6,5)

c) p(10,14)

d) P(4, 0.5)

Answers: Yes, No, No, Yes

We just learned this today and I'm not sure of the difference between vector r and vector "r not" from r = r0 + tm. I'm not sure where to substitute the given points.

For each of your given points, if you can solve for t so that [x,y] = [2,-3] + t[4,7] is a true statement. For example, to verify that the first point, P(-2, -10) is on the line, solve for t:
<-2, -10> = <2, -3> + t<4, 7>.

Solving, this vector equation, I get t = -1, wbich means that (-2, -10) is on the line.

r0 is just some specific vector. In your line equation, r0 corresponds to the point at which t = 0. It's written "r naught" or "r nought".

Related to Is the point on the line? Test with vector equation [x,y] = [2,-3] + t[4,7]

1. What is the definition of a point on a line?

A point is considered to be on a line if it lies directly on the line and shares the same coordinates as any other point on the line.

2. How can I determine if a given point is on a line using coordinates?

To determine if a point is on a line using coordinates, you can use the slope-intercept form of a line equation (y = mx + b). Plug in the x and y coordinates of the point into the equation and if the equation is true, then the point is on the line.

3. Can a point be on multiple lines?

Yes, a point can be on multiple lines as long as it shares the same coordinates as any point on those lines.

4. Is a point considered to be on an infinite line?

As long as the point lies on the line and shares the same coordinates as any other point on the line, it is considered to be on an infinite line.

5. What is the significance of a point being on a line in mathematics?

The concept of a point being on a line is crucial in geometry and algebra, as it allows us to define and determine the characteristics of lines and their relationships to other shapes and objects. Additionally, many real-world problems can be solved by using the concept of a point on a line.