Is the PF Language Policy Outdated or Inconsistent with Enforcement?

• Thread starter what_are_electrons
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses language guidelines on Physics Forums, which prohibit hostile language, personal attacks, and negative attitudes. The poster has personally experienced these issues and questions if any action has been taken against those responsible. Others suggest reporting the behavior to the mentors for them to take action. The conversation also touches on the impact of these negative behaviors and the importance of setting a good example for younger members.
what_are_electrons
The following is a direct quote from PF. Should it be modified or removed since it is inconsistent with current activities.

"Langauge Guidelines:
Any foul or hostile language used in Physics Forums will not be tolerated. This includes any derogatory statements and profanity. Direct or indirect personal attacks are strictly not permitted. Insults and negative attitudes are not allowed. It is better to walk away from a possible confontation and come back with constructive arguments. "

1. I have personally experienced "hostile language". To my knowledge none of the bad mouths were washed with soap.
2. I have, in my opinion and that of others, suffered from "personal attacks". Have those members and Mentors been reprimanded?
3. Negative attitudes are very obviously condoned.

Physics news on Phys.org
so profanity is strictly off limits even though the forum edits it and what about if its not used at someone but just in a harmless way for humor

what_are_electrons said:
The following is a direct quote from PF. Should it be modified or removed since it is inconsistent with current activities.

"Langauge Guidelines:
Any foul or hostile language used in Physics Forums will not be tolerated. This includes any derogatory statements and profanity. Direct or indirect personal attacks are strictly not permitted. Insults and negative attitudes are not allowed. It is better to walk away from a possible confontation and come back with constructive arguments. "

1. I have personally experienced "hostile language". To my knowledge none of the bad mouths were washed with soap.
2. I have, in my opinion and that of others, suffered from "personal attacks". Have those members and Mentors been reprimanded?

We all have at one point been personally attacked. Yes, I've been personally attacked by a "Mentor". What's ironic is the same person kept talking about kindness, humility, blah blah blah...gotta love the hypocrisy.
This is not real life, it's a forum so just let it go. It doesn't mean anything. At least it doesn't affect me personally.

Just respond with tact and move on. Life is too damn short to waste your time on such negativity.

what_are_electrons said:

"Langauge Guidelines:

Who attacked you ?
I will reprimand him !

The_Professional said:
We all have at one point been personally attacked. Yes, I've been personally attacked by a "Mentor". What's ironic is the same person kept talking about kindness, humility, blah blah blah...gotta love the hypocrisy.
This is not real life, it's a forum so just let it go. It doesn't mean anything. At least it doesn't affect me personally.

Just respond with tact and move on. Life is too damn short to waste your time on such negativity.
Agree!
Post and Run away is the coward behavior.

Last edited:
The_Professional said:

I fully understand your way. It makes perfect sense. If it were just me and other people over the age of 20 in the wind tunnel of fecal matter and particles, then I wouldn't waste my time writing about it. Unfortunately, by ignoring and, in effect, condoning such anti-social manners we leave behind those who are younger and too easily misguided and they, in their turn, begin to think that this type of moronic behavior is an acceptable way to interact with fellow humans.

Last edited by a moderator:
what_are_electrons said:

We can't deal with any situation unless they are reported.

I agree. We've got a system in place where you can report particular posts (the red triangle with bar to the left). You can use that to draw attention of the mentors who will then take action.

Vance said:
Who attacked you ?
I will reprimand him !

Valiant warrior of justice! *swoon* :smile:

It seems crazy that you can be personally attacked on a forum such as this... can people be really that het-up about their beliefs?? Fools I'll crush them all! (that was general, not personal! :biggrin: )

ps. I don't mean it really!

Related to Is the PF Language Policy Outdated or Inconsistent with Enforcement?

1. What is the purpose of PF Language Guidelines?

The purpose of PF Language Guidelines is to provide a set of standards and guidelines for using language in a clear, concise, and inclusive manner in scientific research and communication.

2. Who should follow PF Language Guidelines?

Scientists, researchers, and communicators in the scientific community should follow PF Language Guidelines to promote effective and respectful communication.

3. What are some key principles of PF Language Guidelines?

Some key principles of PF Language Guidelines include using neutral language, avoiding stereotypes and biases, and being inclusive of all individuals and identities.

4. How can PF Language Guidelines improve scientific communication?

By following PF Language Guidelines, scientific communication can become more accessible, accurate, and respectful, leading to better understanding and collaboration among researchers and the general public.

5. Are there consequences for not following PF Language Guidelines?

While there are no official consequences for not following PF Language Guidelines, it is important to recognize the impact of language on individuals and the scientific community as a whole. By not following these guidelines, individuals may unintentionally perpetuate harmful stereotypes and exclusionary language.