Is the Momentum Operator Hermitian in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary: That's where I'm stuck. I'm looking at the above and I can't see how to get a '-' sign. Can someone show me how it's done ?A Hermitian operator A is defined by A=A(dagger) which is the transpose and complex conjugate of A. In 1-D the momentum operator is -i(h bar)d/dx. How can this be Hermitian as the conjugate has the opposite sign ?In summary, the definition of a Hermitian operator A requires A=A(dagger), where A(dagger) is the transpose and complex conjugate of A. In 1-D, the momentum operator is -i(h bar)d/dx, which may seem to contradict the definition of
dyn
A Hermitian operator A is defined by A=A(dagger) which is the transpose and complex conjugate of A. In 1-D the momentum operator is -i(h bar)d/dx. How can this be Hermitian as the conjugate has the opposite sign ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
dyn said:
A Hermitian operator A is defined by A=A(dagger) which is the transpose and complex conjugate of A. In 1-D the momentum operator is -i(h bar)d/dx. How can this be Hermitian as the conjugate has the opposite sign ?
For unbounded operators with infinite spectrum, such as the momentum operator, one should use the adjective "self-adjoint" instead of Hermitian. If ##\phi, \psi## are square-integrable wave-functions, then a linear operator ##A## is said to be self-adjoint if
$$\int\!dx\; \phi^*(x) \, A \psi(x) ~=~ \int\!dx \Big(A \phi(x)\Big)^* \, \psi(x) ~.$$Exercise: check whether the above holds when ##A## is the momentum operator. :biggrin:
(Hint: use integration by parts.)

So the momentum operator isn't Hermitian ? But it still returns real eigenvalues and expectation values. Does it also produce orthogonal wavefunctions ?

dyn said:
Thanks

Checking whether ##A = A^\dagger## isn't quite as easy as it looks: the derivative operator ##\frac{d}{dx}## is in fact anti-Hermitian, so that the momentum operator as a whole is Hermitian (unsophisticated people like myself treat "Hermitian" and "self-adjoint" as synonyms, though in reality as strangerep points out this ignores certain subtleties).

"##A = A^\dagger##" is basically shorthand for the expression strangerep wrote. You should check whether that expression holds when ##A## is the momentum operator. If it holds, then the momentum operator is Hermitian.

dyn said:
So the momentum operator isn't Hermitian ? [...]
The notion of self-adjointness is a generalization of the notion of Hermiticity. E.g., in a finite dimensional vector, where ##u,v## are vectors (with complex components), the usual inner product can be written as
$$ (u,v) ~:=~ u^\dagger v ~.$$ If ##A## is a matrix, it is self-adjoint if ## (Au, v) = (u,Av)## or in this case:$$u^\dagger A v ~=~ (Au)^\dagger v ~.$$Thus, self-adjointness coincides with Hermiticity in the finite-dimensional case, i.e., is equivalent to usual notion of Hermiticity as the transpose conjugate.

Expressing the notion in terms of the inner product allows it to be generalized to infinite-dimensional Hilbert spaces of wave functions, on which the momentum operator acts. In that case, Hermiticity and self-adjointness no longer coincide, in general. Self-adjointness still guarantees real eigenvalues (exercise).

As for orthogonality of eigenfunctions, the concept of eigenfunction must be generalized since those of the momentum operator are not normalizable, hence not in the Hilbert space. But that's a long story.

What textbook(s) are you studying from? I.e., QM and linear algebra? If you don't have any, then try Ballentine for QM and maybe Axler for linear algebra.

strangerep said:
For unbounded operators with infinite spectrum, such as the momentum operator, one should use the adjective "self-adjoint" instead of Hermitian. If ##\phi, \psi## are square-integrable wave-functions, then a linear operator ##A## is said to be self-adjoint if
$$\int\!dx\; \phi^*(x) \, A \psi(x) ~=~ \int\!dx \Big(A \phi(x)\Big)^* \, \psi(x) ~.$$

Isn't this hermitian? In order to be self-adjoint, you need some subtleties with the domain to hold.

micromass said:
Isn't this hermitian? In order to be self-adjoint, you need some subtleties with the domain to hold.
Ssshh. I was trying to coax the OP away from the notion of transpose+conjugate, and think in terms of the inner product instead in order to generalize to inf-dim spaces. I had intended (perhaps) to mention domains later, but let's wait and see what textbook(s) the OP is using, and what level of answer is appropriate... :biggrin:

strangerep said:
Ssssh. I was trying to coax the OP away from the notion of transpose+conjugate, and think in terms of the inner product instead in order to generalize to inf-dim spaces. I had intended (perhaps) to mention domains later, but let's wait and see what textbook(s) the OP is using, and what level of answer is appropriate... :biggrin:

Fair enough :-p Just found it weird that you corrected hermitian by self-adjoint but then write the condition for hermitian anyway. But yeah, let's wait for the OP to come back.

micromass said:
Fair enough :-p Just found it weird that you corrected hermitian by self-adjoint but then write the condition for hermitian anyway.
I'll rethink my pedagogical technique in future. :blushing:

strangerep said:
I'll rethink my pedagogical technique in future. :blushing:

Don't, I'm just nitpicking :shy:

I am mainly studying from QM textbooks. They all seem to say that the momentum operator is Hermitian and I can see that it satisfies the equations you have mentioned but I couldn't see how it satisfied A=A(dagger).

dyn said:
I am mainly studying from QM textbooks. They all seem to say that the momentum operator is Hermitian and I can see that it satisfies the equations you have mentioned but I couldn't see how it satisfied A=A(dagger).

Take a look at strangerep's post #2. Do you agree that you need to check that relation for ##A##? Why don't you plug in your ##A## in that integral and work it out?

dyn said:
I agree with Micromass. It's time for you to do some work. (You couldn't even be bothered to say which textbooks.)

dyn said:

As others have said, the way to understand this is by looking at the definition of [itex]A^\dagger[/itex] for inner products, which means an integral.

For the special case of [itex]A = \frac{d}{dx}[/itex], we have:

[itex]\int \Psi^*(x) \frac{d}{dx} \Phi(x) dx = \int \frac{d}{dx}(\Psi^*(x) \Phi(x)) dx - \int (\frac{d}{dx} \Psi^*(x)) \Phi(x) dx [/itex]

That's just using the product rule for derivatives. The first term on the right vanishes for sufficiently well-behaved functions [itex]\Psi[/itex] and [itex]\Phi[/itex], when we integrate over the entire space, so we have:

[itex]\int \Psi^*(x) \frac{d}{dx} \Phi(x) dx = - \int (\frac{d}{dx} \Psi^*(x)) \Phi(x) dx [/itex]

That minus sign on the right is what makes [itex]\frac{d}{dx}[/itex] anti-hermitian.

strangerep said:
I agree with Micromass. It's time for you to do some work. (You couldn't even be bothered to say which textbooks.)

I am using a variety of textbooks including Shankar , Rae , Griffiths , Mandl and Zettilli

Related to Is the Momentum Operator Hermitian in Quantum Mechanics?

What is a Hermitian momentum operator?

A Hermitian momentum operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to describe the momentum of a particle. It is represented by the symbol p and is a fundamental concept in understanding the behavior of quantum systems.

How is a Hermitian momentum operator different from a classical momentum?

In classical mechanics, momentum is simply defined as the product of an object's mass and velocity. In quantum mechanics, however, the concept of momentum is described by a Hermitian operator, which takes into account the wave-like nature of particles at the quantum level.

What are the properties of a Hermitian momentum operator?

A Hermitian momentum operator has several important properties, including being linear, self-adjoint, and having a real eigenvalue spectrum. It also satisfies the commutation relation with the position operator, x, given by [x,p]=iħ, where ħ is the reduced Planck's constant.

Why is the Hermitian momentum operator important in quantum mechanics?

The Hermitian momentum operator is an essential tool in quantum mechanics because it allows us to calculate the momentum of a particle in a given quantum state. It also plays a crucial role in the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which states that the more precisely we know a particle's position, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

How is the Hermitian momentum operator used in practical applications?

The Hermitian momentum operator is used in many practical applications in quantum mechanics, such as in the Schrödinger equation, which describes the time evolution of quantum systems. It is also used in calculating the energy spectrum of a particle in a potential well, and in determining the probability of a particle transitioning between energy levels.