Is the Mass of a Photon Affected by its Energy?

In summary: M v and the rest mass M is just the thing that changes as the velocity v increases. so if a particle is going fast enough, its relativistic mass must be at least that great.the danger of black hole formation is present whenever the kinetic energy (from the POV of the frame of reference) of the particle is K > Mc^2 or when the total energy E is greater than twice the rest energy E_0. (a similar but different argument can be made for the acceleration of a particle, which is the subject of another FAQ.)
codjohns
I am wondering about photons having mass. The new thing on all the space shows is the sailing through space with a sail that harnesses photons as a ship harnesses wind. They did an experiment and the photons exerted a force on the sail. Am I wrong to think that E=mc^2 (E can not be 0 so M can not be 0) and since the photons exert kinetic energy on the sail I can assume that KE=1/2MV^2 therefor KE (how its exerting force on the sail) is = 1/2Mc^2. Since the energy is not 0 then the mass can not be 0, calculate the number of photons and the amount of force and you will have the mass of a photon.

Am I wrong to think this?

Physics news on Phys.org
codjohns said:
I am wondering about photons having mass. The new thing on all the space shows is the sailing through space with a sail that harnesses photons as a ship harnesses wind. They did an experiment and the photons exerted a force on the sail. Am I wrong to think that E=mc^2 (E can not be 0 so M can not be 0) and since the photons exert kinetic energy on the sail I can assume that KE=1/2MV^2 therefor KE (how its exerting force on the sail) is = 1/2Mc^2. Since the energy is not 0 then the mass can not be 0, calculate the number of photons and the amount of force and you will have the mass of a photon.

You are wrong. E=mc^2 only applies to objects with non-zero rest mass and photons have a zero rest mass. The equation that you're looking for is [itex]E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2[/itex] where p is the momentum and m is the rest mass; this one works even if the rest mass is zero, as it is for a photon.

This equation allows the photon to carry momentum, which is transferred to the sail when the photon hits it.

codjohns said:

Please read our FAQ subforum.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=511175

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nugatory said:
You are wrong. E=mc^2 only applies to objects with non-zero rest mass ...
... and which are stationary in the frame of reference considered.

Last edited:
Nugatory said:
You are wrong. E=mc^2 only applies to objects with non-zero rest mass and photons have a zero rest mass. The equation that you're looking for is [itex]E^2=(mc^2)^2 + (pc)^2[/itex] where p is the momentum and m is the rest mass; this one works even if the rest mass is zero, as it is for a photon.

even though it is deprecated in most, nearly all, current texts, there is most certainly a usage to the famous [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] where the [itex]m[/itex] refers to the (oft deprecated) "relativistic mass":

[tex] m = \frac{m_0}{\sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

and [itex]m_0[/itex] is the "rest mass" or "invariant mass" of the body. a photon is assumed to move at a speed of [itex]c[/itex] in anyone's frame of reference, so it cannot have a non-zero rest mass because

[tex] m_0 = m \sqrt{1 - \frac{v^2}{c^2}} [/tex]

and the latter factor goes to zero when [itex] v=c [/itex].

if [itex]m[/itex] used in [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] is the expression above, then [itex]E=mc^2[/itex] is perfectly consistent with

[tex]E^2=(m_0 c^2)^2 + (p c)^2[/tex]

and

[tex] p = m v [/tex] .

this [itex]E[/itex] is the total energy, the "rest energy" [itex]E_0=m_0 c^2[/itex] (which is the "E=mc^2" you're referring to) plus the kinetic energy (from the POV of the observer in the frame of reference).

[tex] E = m c^2 = E_0 + T [/tex]

the kinetic energy

[tex] T = E - E_0 [/tex]

goes to the classical approximation [itex] T = \frac{1}{2}m_0 v^2 [/itex] when [itex]v<<c[/itex].

This equation allows the photon to carry momentum, which is transferred to the sail when the photon hits it.

a quantity of the dimension "mass" can be derived from dividing the momentum of the photon by its speed (which is c).

"wrong" and "currently deprecated" are not the same thing.

Last edited:
"wrong" and "currently deprecated" are not the same thing.
A better characterization would be "highly misleading". One need only count up the queries here on PF that were produced as a result of this confusion. Many posters have imagined, for example, that the relativistic mass increase must eventually turn the particle into a black hole.

Bill_K said:
Many posters have imagined, for example, that the relativistic mass increase must eventually turn the particle into a black hole.

point taken. a simple black hole needs to satisfy

[tex] \frac{M}{r} > \frac{c^2}{2 G} [/tex]

in its own reference frame.

Related to Is the Mass of a Photon Affected by its Energy?

1. What is a photon?

A photon is a fundamental particle of light that carries energy and has no mass. It is the smallest unit of light and behaves both as a particle and a wave.

2. How does mass affect the behavior of photons?

Since photons have no mass, they are not affected by gravity. This allows them to travel at the speed of light and follow a straight path.

3. How are photons and energy related?

Photons are units of energy and are responsible for carrying electromagnetic radiation, including visible light. The energy of a photon is directly proportional to its frequency, meaning higher frequency photons have more energy.

4. Can photons be created or destroyed?

According to the law of conservation of energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only converted from one form to another. This applies to photons as well, meaning they cannot be created or destroyed, but rather transformed into other forms of energy.

5. How do photons interact with matter?

When photons encounter matter, they can be absorbed, reflected, or scattered. The way they interact with matter depends on the properties of the material, such as its density and composition. For example, visible light is mostly absorbed by opaque objects, but can pass through transparent materials.