Is the Laplacian of a Function Simply the Trace of its Hessian Matrix?

• Thread starter icurays1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplacian
In summary, the conversation discusses the Laplacian of a function, which is equal to the trace of its Hessian matrix. This may not be true in curvilinear coordinates, but the Hessian tensor can still be defined. The Laplacian can also be seen as the trace of the Ricci tensor, which is itself the trace of the Riemann tensor. The trace of a tensor is found by contracting any two indices with the metric tensor, and in flat space, this reduces to the familiar definition of the trace.
icurays1
Stupid thing I noticed today:

[tex]\nabla^2 U=tr(H(U))[/tex]

Or, in other words, the Laplacian of a function is just the trace of its Hessian matrix. Whoop-de-frickin do, right? Is this useful knowledge or should I forget it immediately?

N!

Physics news on Phys.org
This is not true in curvilinear coordinates.

But then isn't the 'Hessian' a tensor with co/contravariant components? is the trace even defined for tensors like that? And how is a differential operator like [tex]\nabla^2[/tex] even defined in a nonlinear coordinate system? (Genuine questions, I'm just starting to learn tensors and differential geometry and whatnot...)

okay, cool. thanks!

would the trace of an arbitrary tensor be [tex]\sum_{i}{A_{ii...i}}[/tex] i.e. summing over the elements of the tensor with identical indicies? For tensors rank>2 'diagonal' is sort of vague, or does 'diagonal' always mean 'elements with the same index'? I guess this doesn't have anything to do with the original question...thanks again Ben!

Tensor traces are taken by contracting any two indices with the metric tensor. The result will be a tensor whose rank has been reduced by 2. For example, the Ricci tensor is the trace of the Riemann tensor on the 1st and 3rd indices:

[tex]R_{bd} = g^{ac} R_{abcd}[/tex]

and then the scalar curvature is the trace of the Ricci tensor, or the double trace of the Riemann tensor:

[tex]R = g^{bd} R_{bd} = g^{ac} g^{bd} R_{abcd}[/tex].

In flat space, the metric tensor is just the identity matrix, so this reduces to the more familiar definition of the trace.

Related to Is the Laplacian of a Function Simply the Trace of its Hessian Matrix?

1. What is the Laplacian operator?

The Laplacian operator is a mathematical operator used in vector calculus to measure the curvature of a function at a given point. It is denoted by the symbol ∇² and is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives of a function with respect to all of its independent variables.

2. What does "tr(H)" represent in the equation "Laplacian = tr(H)"?

In the equation "Laplacian = tr(H)", "tr(H)" represents the trace of the Hessian matrix, which is a square matrix of second partial derivatives of a function. The trace is found by summing the diagonal elements of the matrix.

3. How is the Laplacian operator used in science?

The Laplacian operator is used in many areas of science, such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used to describe the behavior of physical systems, solve differential equations, and analyze the curvature of surfaces and functions.

4. What is the significance of the Laplacian operator equaling the trace of the Hessian matrix?

The Laplacian operator being equal to the trace of the Hessian matrix has important implications in mathematics and physics. This relationship allows for simplification of calculations and provides a useful tool for solving problems in various fields.

5. Can the Laplacian operator be applied to higher dimensions?

Yes, the Laplacian operator can be extended to higher dimensions by using higher-order derivatives. In three-dimensional space, for example, the Laplacian operator is defined as the sum of the second partial derivatives with respect to the x, y, and z coordinates.