Is the K-G Operator of the Kelin-Gordon Equation a Time Ordered Function?

• Thread starter Karlisbad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Operators
In summary, the conversation discusses the Klein-Gordon equation with a potential and the question of whether the wave function can be considered as an operator. The discussion also touches on the Feynman Green function and the use of functional derivatives.
Karlisbad
Let be the Kelin-gordon equation (m=0) with a potential so:

[tex] (-\frac{\partial ^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}+V(x) )\Phi=0 [/tex]

my question is if you consider the wave function above as an operator..is the K-G operator of the form:

[tex] <0|T(\Phi(x)\Phi(x')|0> [/tex] T=time ordered

I think that in both cases..we use the same wave function but once is an scalar (or an spinor for electrons) and the other is an escalar...:shy: :shy:

Physics news on Phys.org
1.I don't know who Kelin was. Maybe you could supply some reference.

2. Your equation, misses a laplacian.

3. You depicted the Feynman Green function, which is a Green function for the operator written with a Laplacian.

All of course, if you mean "Klein-Gordon"

Daniel.

I apologize "DSextercioby"...:rolleyes: i missed the keyboard..:redface: yes i was referring Klein-Gordon equation with rest mass m=0 so:

[tex] (-\frac{\partial ^{2}}{\partial t^{2}}+\nabla +V(x))\Phi=0 [/tex]

then if you define the Green function by [tex] G(x,x')=<0|T(\Phi(x)\Phi(x'))0>[/tex]

then my question were if the "Phi" wave function defined in both G and K-G equation is the same ,but in one case is an operator and in the other is an scalar with T=time ordered product.

- By the way i looked at the paper by Scwinger ..taking the Dirac equation with Electromagnetism:

[tex] (i\gamma_{\mu}\partial _{\mu}-eA_{\mu}+m)\Psi =0 [/tex]

he got the Green function (i don't know how he did it.. ), he got the functional equation:

[tex]
\partial _{\mu}-eA_{\mu}+m+\frac{\delta}{\delta J_{\mu}}G(x,x')=\delta(x-x') [/tex]

I figure you never read (hence never edit) your posts after hitting "submit reply/thread" button. :-p

In the field eqn, the [itex] \varphi (x) [/itex] is not a wavefunction, it is a classical field.

In the VEV of the time-ordered product, it is an operator acting on a Fock space. It still keeps the scalar behavior wrt restricted Poincare' transformations.

As for the second part of your post, please supply the reference to Schwinger's paper.

Daniel.

A brief resume..can be found at:

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/102/22/7783

with the Dirac equation + magnetic field+ scalar potential V(x) and the functional approach to the Green function involving functional derivatives.

Related to Is the K-G Operator of the Kelin-Gordon Equation a Time Ordered Function?

1. What are operators in programming?

Operators in programming are symbols or keywords that are used to perform specific tasks on data, such as mathematical calculations or comparisons. They are essential for creating efficient and functional code.

2. What are the different types of operators?

There are several types of operators, including arithmetic operators (+, -, *, /), assignment operators (=, +=, -=), comparison operators (==, !=, >, <), logical operators (&&, ||), and more. Each type is used for a specific purpose in programming.

3. How do operators differ from functions?

Operators and functions are both used to manipulate data in programming, but they differ in their syntax and purpose. Operators are symbols or keywords that perform a specific task on data, while functions are reusable blocks of code that can perform a variety of tasks on data.

4. Can operators be used in different programming languages?

Yes, operators are used in many programming languages, although the specific symbols or keywords used may vary. For example, the addition operator in Java is "+" while in Python it is "+=". However, the overall concept and purpose of operators remain the same across languages.

5. How do I know which operator to use in a certain situation?

Choosing the correct operator for a specific situation depends on the task you want to perform on your data. For example, if you want to add two numbers together, you would use the addition operator (+). It is essential to understand the purpose of each operator and how it affects your data to make the correct choice.