Is the General Theory of Relativity Worth Learning from a Troll?

In summary, the conversation is about Clark's interest in learning the general theory of relativity and his request for someone to teach it to him. Other forum members express their doubts and suggest looking for resources instead. The conversation ends with Physicsguru being banned for trolling and a recommendation for a free online resource for learning GR.
ClarkKent
I am interested in learning the general theory of relativity, and I want to know if someone here would be willing to take the time to teach it to me. I have heard that it is a theory of gravity. On the down side I don't know tensor mathematics very well, nor do I like it, but on the up side I do learn pretty fast, if the information is presented logically.

Thank you

Clark

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to be kidding,right...?This is A DISCUSSION FORUM,it's not a lecture hall at some university...:dahhhhh:

Daniel.

P.S.You could have asked for guidance towards books,that we can easily offer.

dextercioby said:
You have to be kidding,right...?This is A DISCUSSION FORUM,it's not a lecture hall at some university...:dahhhhh:

Daniel.

P.S.You could have asked for guidance towards books,that we can easily offer.

No, I'm serious.

Thank you

Clark

It all boils down to:
[tex]G_{\mu\nu}+\Lambda g_{\mu\nu}=\frac{8\pi G}{c^{4}}\Theta_{\mu\nu} [/tex]

You're welcome.:smile:Sorry i couldn't provide any more help.
Maybe someone else more knowledgeable would...

Daniel.

EDIT:Thanks Tom,i felt it was smth.fishy... :-p I wouldn't have posted more,anyway.

Last edited:
dextercioby said:
It all boils down to:
[tex]G_{\mu\nu}+\Lambda g_{\mu\nu}=\frac{8\pi\G}{c^{4}}\Theta_{\mu\nu} [/tex]

You're welcome.:smile:Sorry i couldn't provide any more help.
Maybe someone else more knowledgeable would...

Daniel.

What is [tex] G_{\mu\nu} [/tex]?

Thank you

Clark

Dexter, it's just an alias for Physicsguru. Let's not feed the trolls. :wink:

PG, you have been banned for 21 days for exceeding the allowed number of warning points. Stop creating new usernames. We will spot them and delete them.

Tom Mattson said:
Dexter, it's just an alias for Physicsguru. Let's not feed the trolls. :wink:

Physicsguru is a TROLL? I'm shocked, simply shocked :wink:

Related to Is the General Theory of Relativity Worth Learning from a Troll?

1. What is the General Theory of Relativity?

The General Theory of Relativity is a theory of gravitation that explains the force of gravity as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. It was developed by Albert Einstein in the early 20th century and is considered one of the cornerstones of modern physics.

2. How does the General Theory of Relativity differ from Newton's theory of gravity?

The main difference between the two theories is the concept of gravity itself. While Newton's theory describes gravity as a force acting between objects, the General Theory of Relativity explains it as a curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy. This means that gravity is not a force, but rather a result of the geometry of spacetime.

3. Can the General Theory of Relativity be tested?

Yes, the General Theory of Relativity has been extensively tested and has been found to accurately predict the behavior of massive objects in the universe. Some of the most famous tests include the precession of Mercury's orbit and the deflection of light by massive objects, both of which were confirmed by observations.

4. Is the General Theory of Relativity compatible with quantum mechanics?

While the General Theory of Relativity and quantum mechanics are both highly successful theories in their own domains, they are currently not fully compatible with each other. Many scientists are working towards a unified theory that can reconcile the two theories and explain all phenomena in the universe.

5. How has the General Theory of Relativity impacted our understanding of the universe?

The General Theory of Relativity has revolutionized our understanding of the universe by providing a new framework for explaining the behavior of massive objects and the force of gravity. It has also led to important advancements in cosmology, such as the prediction of the expanding universe and the existence of black holes.