Is the Function f(x) = (x+2)^-1 Bounded on the Open Interval (-2,2)?

In summary, the function f(x) = (x+2)^-1 is not bounded on the open interval (-2,2) as it approaches positive infinity as x tends to -2 from above. Trying to find a constant K that satisfies the equation |f(x)| < K is not possible, as there is always an x in the interval that does not satisfy the equation. This can also be proven by finding the derivative of the function and realizing that there is no maximum/minimum point. Therefore, the function is unbounded in the open interval and there does not exist a constant K that satisfies the equation for all x in the interval.
Benny
Hi, I would like to know if the function f(x) = (x+2)^-1 is bounded on the open interval (-2,2)? The interval doesn't include the point x = -2 but I'm not sure if I can say that there is a K>=0 such that |f(x)| < K for all x in (-2,2).

The function is defined everywhere in that interval but still approaches positive infinity as x tends to x = - 2 from above so I'm not sure what to conclude here. Any help would be great thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Instead of trying to find such a K, i.e. instead of trying to proove that f is bounded, try to prove that it is not bounded. (And it obviously is not bounded since, as you noted yourself, it is intuitively evident that the function goes to infinity as x gets nearer and nearer to -2)

A function is not bounded on its domain if given any number M, you can find an element 'a' of the domain such that f(a)>M.

So somewhat like in the epsilon-delta proofs, if you can find a relation a(M) that associated to every M a number 'a' in (-2,2) such that f(a)>M, then you will have proven the unboundedness of f.

Last edited:
Do you know anything about finding the maximum of a function using derivatives?

If yes, find the derivative of the function and try to find a maximum/minimum point. You shouldn't be able to find one, which means the function itself isn't bounded in the open interval.

Otherwise, assume there exists some K that does satisfy your equation. Now, find an x that does not satisfy the equation, which is a contradiction so that such a K can not exist.

Therefore, simply solve |f(x)|<K, where K is a constant and be sure to pick an x that is in the open interval (-2,2).

Note: The answer for x should be dependent on K.

Ok thanks. I probably made it more complicated than it was.

Related to Is the Function f(x) = (x+2)^-1 Bounded on the Open Interval (-2,2)?

1. What is a bounded function in math?

A bounded function in math is a function that has a finite upper and lower limit. This means that the output values of the function are always within a specific range. The upper and lower limits can be defined as actual numbers or as a variable that has a maximum and minimum value.

2. How can I determine if a function is bounded or not?

A function is bounded if its output values are limited within a certain range. To determine if a function is bounded, you can graph the function and see if the graph has a finite range. You can also analyze the equation of the function and see if there are any restrictions on the input values that would limit the output values.

3. What is the importance of bounded functions in math?

Bounded functions are important in math because they help us understand and analyze the behavior of a function. By knowing the upper and lower limits of a function, we can determine its range, continuity, and other properties. Bounded functions also have real-world applications, such as in economics and physics, where they represent physical constraints or limitations.

4. What are some examples of bounded functions?

Some examples of bounded functions include polynomial functions, exponential functions, and trigonometric functions. For example, the function f(x) = x^2 is bounded because its output values are limited between 0 and infinity. The function g(x) = sin(x) is also bounded because the output values are limited between -1 and 1.

5. How can I use bounded functions in real life situations?

Bounded functions can be used in real life situations to represent physical constraints or limitations. For example, a car's speed can be represented by a bounded function where the upper limit is the car's maximum speed and the lower limit is 0. Bounded functions can also be used in economic models to represent supply and demand, where the upper and lower limits represent the minimum and maximum quantities that can be produced or consumed.