Is the existence of strangelets predicted by the standard model?

In summary: So while the LHC might be able to produce strangelets in a more abundant way than previous accelerators, at this point I don't think it's a strong prediction in the (SM).
Noja888
Does anyone know what the probability of creating a strangelet in the LHC would be? Do all applications of QM predict the possibility of a strangelet? Is a strangelet a strong prediction in the (SM) or kind of like a wormhole(this might be a bad example for some) - a sort of fuzzy prediction that is not quite solid in accuracy?

Physics news on Phys.org
you can google, and use the search function in this forum.

I did some "Google-ing"...

(Answering my own question here - heh)
I see that it depends on its actual surface tension whether it can collect more matter into strange matter(loosely speaking the terms here). Also the energy levels that the LHC will run at make it more unlikely to create a strangelet. I would link the info I found but it was on "LHC - doomsday" topics and that's not my focus. I read that some propose that neutron stars could be quark stars. Anyone have a link other than wiki on this? Thank-ee.

Noja888 said:
Do all applications of QM predict the possibility of a strangelet? Is a strangelet a strong prediction in the (SM) or kind of like a wormhole(this might be a bad example for some) - a sort of fuzzy prediction that is not quite solid in accuracy?

No, the existence of strangelets is not predicted by the standard model. The standard model has a lot of adjustable parameters. In addition, it's not currently possible to use the SM to make high-precision predictions for many-body sysystems, simply because the calculations are intractable. People trying to make theoretical predictions about strangelets generally don't use the SM directly, they use phenomenological models of the strong nuclear force, and these models contain lots and lots of parameters that have to be fitted to experiment. The calculations are not good enough to predict firmly whether strangelets exist or not. Past experiments have failed to detect them, so it's believed that they do not exist. I don't think there's any special reason to think that the LHC will bring anything new to this game. What's new about the LHC is the higher energy, but if strangelets were stable, then you wouldn't need that much energy to produce them; the energies available in previous accelerators would have been sufficient.

Related to Is the existence of strangelets predicted by the standard model?

1. What is the LHC?

The LHC (Large Hadron Collider) is a particle accelerator located at CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research) in Switzerland. It is the largest and most powerful particle accelerator in the world, designed to study the fundamental nature of matter and the origin of the universe.

2. What are strangelets?

Strangelets are hypothetical particles made up of equal numbers of up, down, and strange quarks. They are predicted to exist by some theories of particle physics, but have not yet been observed.

3. How does the LHC relate to strangelets?

The LHC is designed to create high-energy collisions between particles, which can potentially produce strangelets. However, the probability of this happening is extremely low and has not been observed in the LHC's experiments.

4. Is there a risk of strangelets being created at the LHC?

No, the risk of strangelets being created at the LHC is extremely low. The experiments at the LHC have been extensively studied and reviewed by scientists, and there is no evidence to suggest that strangelets pose any danger.

5. What precautions are in place to prevent the creation of strangelets at the LHC?

The LHC has built-in safety systems and protocols to prevent the creation of strangelets. These include strict control of the particle beams, monitoring of the experiments, and multiple layers of safety reviews by experts. The safety of the LHC has also been confirmed by independent studies and international organizations.