Is the Electric Field Normal to the Surface?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem where a solid cylinder with a non-uniform volume charge density is given and the electric field at different radii needs to be found. The confusion arises from the assumption that the electric field is parallel to any normal vector to the surface of the cylinder, as there is no specific information in the problem to support this assumption. However, it is stated that the electric field is parallel to the normal vector due to the symmetry of the cylinder's geometry and charge distribution. This assumption allows for a unique solution to be found that fulfills the Maxwell equations.
auk411

Homework Statement

Let's say you have a solid cylinder. It is nonconducting. It is long enough such that the contributions from the ends are negligible. It has a non-uniform volume charge density of Ar^2, where A is some positive constant. Then you are asked to find the electric field at different radii, respectively.

This is a problem that I was given as homework. What confuses me is that the authors assume that the Flux, F, = E(Surface Area of curved area). That is, F = E2[itex]\pi[/itex]RH, where H is the height of the cylinder. Typically, this I have no problems with this; I understand what is going on (typically). However, in this case I see nothing in the problem that warrants the assumption that the flux can be rewritten as F=Ecos(0)2[itex]\pi[/itex]RH. Am I missing something here? Couldn't the Electric field be written as <x,y,z>. In which case, the the angle between the Electric field and the normal vector pointing out from the surface would NOT be 0. Thus, making the assumption false.

Is it the case that anytime you have a gaussian surface that is a cylinder, the Electric field will always be parallel to any normal vector to the surface. Or is there something in the problem that warrants the assumption that this is true?

Btw, the problem only contains the following information: that is a cylinder, it is really long, it has a non-uniform charge density = Ar^2. A = 2.5[itex]\mu[/itex] C/m^5, the radius of the cylinder is .04 m. And we are to find the electric field at r = 3 cm and r = 5 cm.

Given that I make the assumption that the angle between E (vector, not magnitude) and a normal vector to the (curved) surface is 0, I can solve the problem. However, I can't find any reason to make the assumption.

Any explanation would be great.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are right, nothing ensures that the electric field is normal to the surface of the cylinder, but symmetry. If the cylinder had finite length, it would not be true. If the charge distribution depended on height or the azimuthal angle, it would not be right.
If it was a metal surface, the electric field would be normal to the surface as the electric field is the negative gradient of the potential, and a metal surface is a equipotential surface (in the static case). This cylinder is not from metal, but both the geometry and the charge distribution has the cylindrical symmetry. With this assumption, you can find a solution which fulfils the Maxwell equations, and as the solutions of these equations are unique, this is the solution.

ehild

Related to Is the Electric Field Normal to the Surface?

1. What is a cylinder in terms of electric flux?

A cylinder is a three-dimensional shape that has a circular base and straight sides. In the context of electric flux, it refers to a cylindrical surface surrounding a charged object through which the electric flux passes.

2. How is electric flux calculated for a cylinder?

The electric flux through a closed cylinder can be calculated by multiplying the electric field intensity by the area of the circular base of the cylinder. This is known as Gauss's Law for cylinders.

3. How does the electric flux change with distance from the charged object?

The electric flux decreases with distance from the charged object. This is due to the inverse square law, which states that the electric field strength decreases with the square of the distance from the source.

4. Can the electric flux through a cylinder be negative?

Yes, the electric flux through a cylinder can be negative if the electric field is directed inward towards the charged object. This can happen if the charged object has a negative charge.

5. Can the electric flux through a cylinder be zero?

Yes, the electric flux through a cylinder can be zero if the electric field is perpendicular to the surface of the cylinder. This means that the electric field lines are neither entering nor leaving the cylinder, resulting in a net electric flux of zero.