Is the differential in the momentum operator commutative?

In summary, the conversation discusses the expectation value for the momentum operator of a given wavefunction and how it relates to the integral of a function. There is also a question about the possibility of commuting functions of the same dependency into the momentum operator and whether the derivative operator used in quantum mechanics has the same properties as the derivative operator from multidimensional real calculus. The conversation concludes with a clarification about the chain rule and the commutation properties of the derivative operator.
Zacarias Nason
As it says; I was looking over some provided solutions to a problem set I was given and noticed that, in finding the expectation value for the momentum operator of a given wavefunction, the following (constants/irrelevant stuff taken out) happened in the integrand:

[tex] \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\gamma(x)(\hat{p}(\gamma(x))dx = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\gamma(x)\frac{\hbar}{i}\frac{\partial}{\partial x}\bigg(\gamma(x)\bigg)dx= \frac{\hbar}{i}\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\frac{\partial}{\partial(x)}\bigg(\gamma^2(x)\bigg)dx[/tex]

Are we allowed to commute functions of the same dependency on variables into the momentum operator if the momentum operator's differential is w.r.t. that same variable or something? How does this work?

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure you don't miss a factor of two somewhere in the equation?

I just noticed that before you mentioned, and I can't figure out where it's coming from. There's now a factor of two in the denominator of a constant now outside the integral; I'm guessing some other operation was done that I didn't notice?

(To be clear, the factor of two wasn't there, and now it is after that function is moved into the differential operator(?). It wasn't there prior, so it had to have come from some operation.)

What you're left with, before the change I noted, is the integrand in this form:

[tex] \gamma(x) \frac{d}{dx}\bigg(\gamma(x)\bigg)dx [/tex]

It's just the chain rule, consider
$$
\frac{\partial}{\partial x} \gamma^2(x) = \frac{\partial \gamma^2(x)}{\partial \gamma(x)} \frac{\partial \gamma(x)}{\partial x}.
$$

Likes Zacarias Nason
Yes, a moderator can put the two in your OP. Yes, the derivative operator used in quantum mechanics has the same commutation properties as the derivative operator from multidimensional real calculus, namely the Leibniz property.

Likes Zacarias Nason
Ah, thanks to both of you!

Related to Is the differential in the momentum operator commutative?

1. What is the momentum operator?

The momentum operator is a mathematical operator used in quantum mechanics to represent the momentum of a particle. It is denoted by the symbol "p" and is defined as the product of the mass of the particle and its velocity.

2. What is the commutator of two operators?

The commutator of two operators is a mathematical operation that measures the degree to which the two operators do not commute. In other words, it is a measure of how much the order in which the operators are applied affects the final result.

3. Why is the commutator of the momentum operator important?

The commutator of the momentum operator is important because it represents the uncertainty in the measurement of momentum in quantum mechanics. This uncertainty arises due to the non-commutativity of the momentum operator with other operators, such as the position operator.

4. What is the significance of the commutator being non-commutative?

The non-commutativity of the momentum operator has significant implications in quantum mechanics. It means that the momentum and position of a particle cannot be measured simultaneously with arbitrary precision, and there will always be a fundamental uncertainty in the measurement of these two quantities.

5. How does the non-commutativity of the momentum operator affect physical systems?

The non-commutativity of the momentum operator affects physical systems by introducing the concept of wave-particle duality. This means that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like behaviors, and their properties, such as momentum and position, cannot be accurately described by classical mechanics.