Is the determinant of a mixed state density matrix always positive?

In summary: K_{k=1}w_k\left\langle u\left|\hat{P}_k\right|u\right\rangle=\sum^K_{k=1}w_k\left|\left\langle u\left|\hat{P}_k\right|u\right\rangle\right|^2\geq 0In summary, the determinant of a mixed state density matrix is always positive because a state operator must have a unit trace, be self-adjoint, and have non-negative eigenvalues. This ensures that the determinant, being the product of the
Fredrik
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Why is the determinant of a mixed state density matrix always positive?

In the specific case of a 2-dimensional Hilbert space, the density matrix (as well as any other hermitian matrix) can be expressed as

[tex]\rho=\frac 1 2 (I+\vec r\cdot\vec \sigma)[/tex]

so its determinant is

[tex]\det\rho=\frac 1 4(1-\vec r^2)[/itex]

We have [itex]|\vec r|=1[/itex] if and only if we're dealing with a pure state, so we seem to need the condition [itex]\det\rho\geq 0[/itex] to see that the set of mixed states is the interior of the sphere rather than the exterior.

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that if you have mixed states statistical operator you have

[tex]{\hat{\rho}}^2 < \hat{\rho}[/tex]

and of course for statistical operator [tex]Tr\hat{\rho}=1[/tex] and [tex]\hat{\rho}^{\dagger}=\hat{\rho}[/tex]

I think that from that three conditions you have [tex]det\hat{\rho}>0[/tex]

Last edited:
Thanks, but now I have two problems instead of one. I don't see why [itex]\rho^2<\rho[/itex] for mixed states. (Do you mean that all expectation values of [itex]\rho-\rho^2[/itex] are positive?) I also don't see why these results imply that [itex]\det\rho>0[/itex].

The "state operators" in the original post don't necessarily qualify as such...

Summarizing from Ballentine section 2.3 (pp 50-51)...

An acceptable state operator (a) has unit trace, (b) is self-adjoint, and
(c) satisfies [itex]\langle u | \rho | u \rangle \ge 0[/itex], for all [itex]| u \rangle[/itex].

Property (b) implies that a state operator's eigenvalues [itex]\rho_n[/itex] are real.

Property (c) implies that a state operator's eigenvalues must satisfy [itex]\rho_n \ge 0[/itex].

Hence the determinant is real and non-negative, being the product of the eigenvalues.

[EDIT: Removed unnecessary silly mistake herein noted by Fredrik in post #5 below.]

Last edited:
Thank you strangerep. That was surprisingly simple (at least when I only consider finite-dimensional Hilbert spaces, but that's the case I'm interested in for the moment). [Edit: Removed comment about silly mistake in #4 :smile:]

Last edited:
Just to show c)

[tex]\hat{\rho}=\sum^K_{k=1}w_k|\psi_k> <\psi_k|=\sum^K_{k=1}w_k\hat{P}_k[/tex]

and

[tex]\left\langle \psi_n\left|\hat{P}_k\right|\psi_n\right\rangle=||\hat{P}_k\psi_n||^2[/tex]

Related to Is the determinant of a mixed state density matrix always positive?

1. What is the determinant of a density matrix?

The determinant of a density matrix is a mathematical quantity that represents the total probability of finding a quantum system in a particular state. It is a measure of the system's purity, with a higher determinant indicating a more pure state.

2. How is the determinant of a density matrix calculated?

The determinant of a density matrix can be calculated by taking the product of the eigenvalues of the matrix. It can also be calculated using the trace of the matrix, which is the sum of the diagonal elements.

3. What does a negative determinant of a density matrix indicate?

A negative determinant of a density matrix indicates an entangled state, where the system cannot be described as a combination of independent states. This is a characteristic of quantum systems and is often associated with non-classical phenomena.

4. How does the determinant of a density matrix relate to other properties of the system?

The determinant of a density matrix is related to other properties such as the system's entropy, energy, and purity. It can also be used to calculate the system's average energy and other thermodynamic quantities.

5. Can the determinant of a density matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a density matrix can be negative. This is not a violation of any mathematical rules, but rather reflects the quantum nature of the system. In fact, a negative determinant is often an important indicator of non-classical behavior and can be used to detect and characterize quantum entanglement.