Is the answer key wrong? Physics 12U Dynamics

In summary: I haven't checked the details but it looks like pulling is the way to go.In summary, the conversation discusses a dynamics question involving loading a heavy box of books up a ramp. The answer in the book is given as 2100 N, but the person is unsure if their calculation is correct. The steps for calculating the minimum force needed to slide the box up the ramp are shown, with some general comments and a suggestion to try pulling the box instead of pushing. Upon reworking the problem, the person gets a force of about 2.17 x 10^3 N, which is assumed to be close enough to the book's answer.
Alameen Damer

Homework Statement

Hello, I was doing a dynamics question, but my answer didn't match the answer key. I want to see if I am wrong, or the book is. The answer in the book is 2100 N. Question: You are helping a friend move, and you need to load a 265 kg box of books. You slide the box up a ramp, which has an incline of 30 degrees, and a coefficient of static friction of 0.45. You apply he force on the box at an angle of 39 degrees with respect to the ramp. Calculate the minimum force needed to slide the box up the ramp.

Homework Equations

Fnet=ma
Fs=(us)(Fn)
Fg=Mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Fn=(265)(9.8)cos30
=2250 N

Fs=us x Fn
=0.45 x 2250
=1012.5 <---This is the force needed to be overcome just to move the box

Also there is a force of gravity we must overcome
Fgx=(265)(9.8)(sin30)
=1298.5

This force of gravity in the x coordinate also must be overcome, so Fax must be Fgx + Fs
Fax=1012.5 + 1298.5
=2311 N

However this is the force that must be applied in the x coordinate, the force is actually being put on the box at an angle of 39 degrees so:

Fay/sin 39 = 2311/ sin51
Fay=1871.4

Fa=root (1871.4 ^2 + 2311 ^2)
= 2973.7 N

So obviously that doesn't match the answer key, can someone please see if my steps are correct, as well as my question understanding, and if so, is the answer key wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I get same answer as you.

Some general comments:

1) You refer to the "x coordinate" but didn't specify that you have defined that as parallel to the slope.
2) This step...
Alameen Damer said:
However this is the force that must be applied in the x coordinate, the force is actually being put on the box at an angle of 39 degrees so:
Fay/sin 39 = 2311/ sin51
Fay=1871.4
Fa=root (1871.4 ^2 + 2311 ^2)
= 2973.7 N
..seems a bit over complicated. I just wrote..
Fa * Cos(39) = 2310
and solved for Fa

3) It's not clear from the problem statement if the box is pushed or pulled up the ramp. We both assumed that it is pushed. I would expect that pulling it up would give a smaller answer (Normal force and friction is reduced) but I haven't checked if that gives you the book answer.

Edit: I've just read the problem statement again and I note that it says to calculate the "minimium force". That would strongly suggest pulling rather than pushing. Give it a go.

Thanks for the reply, so I redid it, using the pull I am getting a force of about 2.17 x 10^3 N. I'm assuming this is close enough to what the book wants.

CWatters said:
Edit: I've just read the problem statement again and I note that it says to calculate the "minimium force". That would strongly suggest pulling rather than pushing. Give it a go.
It's not really a question of pull v. push, but of whether the given angle is positive or negative with respect to the ramp angle. But I agree that in practical terms positive will tend to correlate with pulling.

Yes that's what I had in mind. Pulling at 39 degrees to the ramp reduces the normal force/friction where as pushing increases it.

Related to Is the answer key wrong? Physics 12U Dynamics

1. Is there a way to verify if the answer key for Physics 12U Dynamics is correct?

Yes, you can verify the answer key by solving the problems yourself or consulting with other experts in the field.

2. What should I do if I believe the answer key is wrong?

If you believe the answer key is wrong, you can contact the publisher or the author of the key to report the potential error. You can also discuss your concerns with your teacher or a physics tutor.

3. How common are mistakes in answer keys for Physics 12U Dynamics?

Mistakes in answer keys can happen, but they are not very common. Publishers and authors usually have a thorough review process to ensure the accuracy of the answer key.

4. Can I trust the answer key for Physics 12U Dynamics to be completely accurate?

While answer keys are typically accurate, they are not infallible. It is always good practice to double-check your answers and seek clarification if needed.

5. What should I do if I consistently get different answers from the answer key?

If you consistently get different answers from the answer key, it is possible that you are making a mistake in your calculations or understanding of the concepts. You can seek help from a teacher or tutor to review your work and identify any errors.