Is Symmetry Present in the Derivatives of Normal Vectors on Surfaces?

In summary, the conversation discusses the derivative of the normalised normal vector to a surface in n-dimensional Euclid space. It is mentioned that in Cartesian coordinates, the equation \frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \frac{\partial n_i}{\partial x^j} is correct. The conversation also touches on finding acceleration and reformulating the task in the language of differential geometry, as well as the symmetry of the second term in the equation.
rych
Are there any facts about the derivative of the normalised normal vector n to a surface embedded in n-dimensional Euclid space? Is it true, for instance, that
[tex]\frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \frac{\partial n_i}{\partial x^j}[/tex]
The context is as follows. The surface is defined implicitly by a constraint function; there's a Hamiltonian in reduntant coordinates and the canonical Hamiltonian equations of motion for (q,p) ensuring that trajectories lie in the constraint surface. I need to find acceleration [itex]\ddot{q}[/itex]; there the time derivative of n appears. By the way, how could I reformulate this task in the language of differential geometry?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the surface is given by [itex]\phi (\vec{r})=const.[/itex] then the normal to the surface is [itex]n_i=(\vec{\nabla}\phi)_i[/itex], it's not necessarilly unit normal, but this is easily reconciled. So, in Cartesian coordinates

[tex]\frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \frac{\partial n_i}{\partial x^j}[/tex]

is correct.

Last edited:
[tex]\frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \partial_i \frac{\partial_j \phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{\partial_{ij}\phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^\frac{1}{2}} - \frac{\partial_j \phi \sum_k \partial_k \phi \partial_{ik}\phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Thanks for the response! But I can't easily reconcile the second term: it doesn't seem to be symmetric.

rych said:
[tex]\frac{\partial n_j}{\partial x^i} = \partial_i \frac{\partial_j \phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^\frac{1}{2}} = \frac{\partial_{ij}\phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^\frac{1}{2}} - \frac{\partial_j \phi \sum_k \partial_k \phi \partial_{ik}\phi}{(\nabla \phi \cdot \nabla \phi)^{\frac{3}{2}}}[/tex]

Thanks for the response! But I can't easily reconcile the second term: it doesn't seem to be symmetric.

It's not, ignore me when I put the bit about "reconcilitation", I didn't mean to put that.

Related to Is Symmetry Present in the Derivatives of Normal Vectors on Surfaces?

What is a normal vector?

A normal vector is a vector that is perpendicular to a surface or curve at a specific point.

What is the differential of a normal vector?

The differential of a normal vector is a vector that describes the change in the normal vector at a specific point on a surface or curve.

How is the differential of a normal vector calculated?

The differential of a normal vector can be calculated using the partial derivatives of the surface or curve's equation with respect to each of its parameters.

What is the significance of the differential of a normal vector?

The differential of a normal vector is important in differential geometry and calculus, as it allows for the calculation of important properties such as curvature and surface area.

How does the differential of a normal vector relate to the curvature of a surface or curve?

The magnitude of the differential of a normal vector is directly related to the curvature of a surface or curve at a specific point. A larger differential indicates a greater curvature, while a smaller differential indicates a flatter surface or curve.