Is \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{5} an Algebraic Number?

• Thread starter TheOogy
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of algebraic numbers and whether or not \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{5} is an algebraic number. The participants attempt to find a polynomial with rational coefficients that has \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{5} as a zero, and eventually conclude that it is algebraic. They also mention the idea of algebraic numbers forming a group additively, and the difficulty in proving that the sum of two algebraic numbers is also algebraic.
TheOogy
is [tex]\sqrt{2}+\sqrt{5}[/tex] an algebraic number?
i used 2 and 5 arbitrarily, try any integers (as long as they are not the same integer, in which case it is algebraic)
I tried finding a polynomial with rational coefficients that zeros at this value, but haven't found any.

Physics news on Phys.org
If it was, its powers would span a finite dimensional vector space over Q.

Last edited:
thanks matt grime!

Yes, of course it is. If [itex]x= \sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] then [itex]x- \sqrt{2}= \sqrt{5}[/itex] and [itex](x- \sqrt{2})^2= x^2- 2\sqrt{2}x+ 2= 5[/itex]. Then [itex]x^2- 3= 2\sqrt{2}x[/itex] so [itex](x^2- 3)^2= x^4- 6x^2+ 9= 8[/itex]. [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] satisfies the polynomial equation [itex]x^4- 6x^2+ 1= 0[/itex] and so is algebraic.

HallsofIvy,
[itex]
(\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{2})^4-6(\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{2})^2+1 = 98.596
[/itex]

i got a different result, for any [itex]\sqrt{a}, \sqrt{b}[/itex]
just use [itex](\sqrt{a}+ \sqrt{b})*(\sqrt{a}- \sqrt{b})*(-\sqrt{a}+ \sqrt{b})*(-\sqrt{a}- \sqrt{b})[/itex] and expand
i haven't read the whole article, just the start and deducted this (without proof) by factoring the polynomial they gave for 2 and 3

Thanks for the correction. Here's my mistake:
instead of [itex](x^2- 3)^2= x^4- 6x^2+ 9= 8[/itex] is should have
[itex](x^2- 3)^2= x^4- 6x^2+ 9= 8x^2[/itex]. I dropped the "x" in "[itex]2\sqrt{2}x[/itex]" when I squared.

With that correction, we get [itex]x^4- 14x^2+ 9= 0[/itex] and this time I checked, with a calculator, that [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] satisfies that equation.

Since [itex]\sqrt{2}+ \sqrt{5}[/itex] satisfies [itex]x^4- 14x^2+ 9= 0[/itex], it is algebraic.

If you can prove that the algebraic numbers form a group additively, then you are done.

jason, what do you mean "form a group additively"? I don't get it, do you mean some sort of commutative property? Although I doubt it..

It means if you add or subtract algebraic numbers from each other, you get an algebraic number.

Thats a great question. I was working on a similar question, whether e+pi was transcendental.

camilus said:
Thats a great question. I was working on a similar question, whether e+pi was transcendental.

Hah! good luck.

camilus said:
jason, what do you mean "form a group additively"? I don't get it, do you mean some sort of commutative property? Although I doubt it..

I never said anything about commutativity (even though in this case there is).

camilus said:

Haha, yeah like CRGreathouse said, good luck.

This question is way beyond the calibre of question compared to the one in the OP.

The algebraic numbers form a field even, but that's a little tricky to prove (specifically if a and b are algebraic numbers, then a*b is too)

Related to Is \sqrt{2}+\sqrt{5} an Algebraic Number?

1. What is an algebraic number?

An algebraic number is a number that can be expressed as a root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients. In other words, it is a solution to an equation of the form anxn + an-1xn-1 + ... + a1x + a0 = 0, where an, an-1, ..., a1, a0 are rational numbers and x is the algebraic number.

2. How can you determine if a number is algebraic?

A number can be determined to be algebraic if it satisfies a polynomial equation with rational coefficients. This can be done by finding a polynomial with integer coefficients that the number satisfies, or by using other methods such as the field norm or the minimal polynomial.

3. What are some examples of algebraic numbers?

Some common examples of algebraic numbers include integers, fractions, square roots, cube roots, and any number that can be expressed as a finite combination of these. For example, 3, 1/2, √2, and ∛7 are all algebraic numbers.

4. Are all real numbers algebraic?

No, not all real numbers are algebraic. There are also numbers that are called transcendental numbers, which cannot be expressed as a root of a polynomial equation with rational coefficients. Examples of transcendental numbers include π, e, and the golden ratio.

5. What is the importance of algebraic numbers in mathematics?

Algebraic numbers play a crucial role in many branches of mathematics, including number theory, algebraic geometry, and cryptography. They also have practical applications in fields such as physics, economics, and computer science. Understanding algebraic numbers and their properties allows for deeper insights into the nature of numbers and their relationships with each other.