Is solving this possible with Calc 2?

• Thread starter hddd123456789
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calc 2
In summary, the individual is self-teaching Calculus 2 and has created an equation they want to integrate. They are unsure if it can be integrated using their current knowledge and tools. After checking with WolframAlpha, it was determined that there is no solution in terms of standard mathematical functions. The person then asks if this means the solution will likely involve an integral inside a function.
hddd123456789
Hi,

I'm teaching my self Calc 2 at the moment and made an equation that I want to integrate:

[itex]\frac{1}{x*\phi^{1-cos(2*\pi*x)}}[/itex] (phi is just a really large constant)

I'm not asking anyone to do it for me, but am curious if this is something I can even hope to be able to integrate with just Calc 2 in my tool set. I'm curious because I tried wolframalpha but it returned:

(no result found in terms of standard mathematical functions)

Should I be scared of this? :)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
There is no solution in terms of elementary mathematical functions. So you won't find an explicit answer.

Got it. I looked up nonelementary integrals, is it safe to say that the solution will likely involve an integral inside a function?

Related to Is solving this possible with Calc 2?

1. Is Calc 2 enough to solve complex mathematical problems?

Yes, Calc 2 covers a wide range of mathematical concepts and techniques that can be used to solve complex problems. However, depending on the specific problem, additional knowledge and skills may be required.

2. Can Calc 2 help me solve real-world problems?

Yes, Calc 2 is often used to solve real-world problems in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and more. It provides a foundation for understanding and analyzing various real-world situations.

3. How long does it take to learn Calc 2?

The time it takes to learn Calc 2 varies for each individual. It depends on your prior knowledge of calculus, your understanding of mathematical concepts, and your study habits. Generally, it takes one semester to complete a Calc 2 course.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math to excel in Calc 2?

Having a strong foundation in basic math concepts is important for understanding and excelling in Calc 2. However, with dedication and practice, anyone can improve their math skills and succeed in this course.

5. What are the main topics covered in Calc 2?

Calc 2 typically covers topics such as integration techniques, applications of integration, sequences and series, polar coordinates, and vectors. It also builds upon concepts learned in Calc 1, such as limits, derivatives, and basic integration.