Is Randomness a Myth in the Universe?

• Thread starter Tepster
  • Start date
  • Tags
    random
In summary, the conversation discusses whether there are events in the universe that happen without cause and if the future is predetermined. It is stated that according to physics, there are no effects without causes, but the concept of determinism is still being debated. The conversation ends with the moderator choosing to close the discussion before it becomes too philosophical in nature.
Tepster
Hi,
I'd like to ask you if is there (in universe) anything random - any event which hasn't a reason. I say no but I haven't enough knowledge about physics so perhaps there are some things I don't know.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you are asking if there are effects that happen without cause, then no, there are not. Not according to physics.

So that mean the future is already defined, doesn't it?

Tepster said:
So that mean the future is already defined, doesn't it?

It means that future events must have causes, nothing more.

If by a "reason" you mean that based on the previous situation this had to happen, then you are asking whether the universe is deterministic. This depends on how you understand quantum mechanics. According to the standard way of formulating QM, there are only probabilities about a range of things that may happen. But there are other interpretations such as Bohm's which are deterministic. Then you have the "many worlds" idea: That all the "options" happen but we see them as parallel universes, so looking at the whole picture there is determinism, but anyone copy of you, in one of the worlds, seem a random process. These different interpretations are still the subject of much debate, so one can say that your question is still open.

I think maline's post sums up the standard argument pretty well. This thread seems destined to spiral down into the depths of a philosophical discussion, so I'm going to lock it now before it reaches the philosophical event horizon. Tepster, if you have a non-philosophical question, feel free to start a new thread.

Related to Is Randomness a Myth in the Universe?

1. Is randomness a real phenomenon?

Yes, randomness is a real phenomenon that is observed in various aspects of the natural world, such as in quantum mechanics, genetics, and weather patterns.

2. Can randomness be predicted or controlled?

No, randomness cannot be predicted or controlled. It is a result of complex and unpredictable interactions between various factors and is influenced by chance events.

3. Are there any benefits to randomness?

Yes, randomness has several benefits, such as promoting diversity and adaptability, preventing patterns and biases, and allowing for creative and innovative solutions.

4. How is randomness studied in science?

Randomness is studied through various statistical and mathematical models, experiments, and observations. It is also a subject of research in fields such as chaos theory and complexity science.

5. Is everything truly random or is there underlying order?

There is ongoing debate about whether everything is truly random or if there is underlying order. Some scientists argue that randomness is a fundamental aspect of the universe, while others believe that there may be hidden patterns or deterministic processes at play.