Is radius a misnomer in a polar equation?

In summary, the discussion revolves around the use of the term "radius" in polar equations, where it is often described as a "signed radius" or "radial length" due to the possibility of negative values. There is debate over whether this terminology is misleading and whether negative values of r are allowed in standard polar coordinates. Some argue that negative r's are okay and can be used in polar equations, while others argue that they are not typically used in expressing polar coordinates. Ultimately, the issue may come down to a legalistic and technical definition of what constitutes polar coordinates and whether the conversion formulae allow for inverse functions.
nomadreid
Gold Member
Is "radius" a misnomer in a polar equation?

Often I see the description of "r" in a polar equation r = r(theta) as being "radius", but "radius" is a length, and here you can have a negative r. Hence "radius" is a misnomer, as far as I can tell. Perhaps it would be better described with some term like "signed radius" or some vector terminology?

Mathematics news on Phys.org

nomadreid said:
here you can have a negative r

More than making the connotation of "radius" offensive, wouldn't that invalidate the standard formulae for converting between polar and cartesian coordinates?

In polar coordinates r is always non-negative.

First, Stephen Tashi: I am not sure having negative r's would invalidate the formulae for converting from polar to Cartesian, even if it would play havoc with the intuitive formulation. [For example, the conversion to parametric proceeds quite smoothly with negative values of r(theta): for example, r=cos(theta) translates into (x=cos^2(theta), y = sin(2*theta)/2, which is the same graph as r = cos(theta). Onward to Cartesian just requires care with the inverses.]. However, in the reverse direction, from Cartesian to polar, one would end up, using the standard conversions, with non-negative r's, and various cases with tangent, which will not necessarily be the most elegant formulation, but would still be valid. I think, without having worked it out. I would be love to be corrected, though, if you have worked this out, as it would also bother me.
To mathman: when polar coordinates are given as isolated points, then r is always non-negative; however, when describing a curve, one uses such formulae as r=r(theta) =cos(theta), not r = |cos(theta)|. This latter gives a different graph to the former; the latter gives a "bunny hop" graph, while the latter gives a circle, the standard graph for this polar equation. Hence, it appears that r(theta) can be negative. Alternatively, one could have an awkward definition, saying that r= cos(theta) really means the collection of points {(|cos(theta)|, alpha) : alpha = theta when cos(theta) is non-negative, & alpha = theta + pi when cos(theta) is negative}, but I have never seen such a definition. However, I would be happy to have my mistake here pointed out to me.

Last edited:

There's nothing wrong with negative r; it's still clear what point in the plane an [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] pair refers to.

This isn't much different than the fact [itex](r, \theta)[/itex] and [itex](r, \theta + 2 \pi)[/itex] refer to the same point.

Thanks, Hurkyl. So, negative r's are OK. Back to my original point, that the r being referred to as "radius" is misleading, since "radius" is defined as a positive quantity.

Your point about (r,θ) = (r,θ+2π) brings up an error in my previous post (in my "awkward definition"), in that "α=-θ" should have been "α=θ+π". I have therefore edited that. Thanks.

Any suggestions for a better name for r?

No, "radius" or "radial length" are perfectly good.

nomadreid said:
for example, r=cos(theta) translates into (x=cos^2(theta), y = sin(2*theta)/2, which is the same graph as r = cos(theta).

You are arguing that it is possible to modify the standard formulas, not that it is possible to use the standard formulas as they are.

while the latter gives a circle, the standard graph for this polar equation.

The graph of a circle in standard polar coordinates is r = c where c > 0 is the constant radius of the circle. There is no [itex] \theta [/itex] in the equation.

Hurkyl said:
There's nothing wrong with negative r; it's still clear what point in the plane an [itex](r,\theta)[/itex] pair refers to.

There's nothing ambiguous about a negative r, but a negative r is not used in standard polar coordinates - at least as I read the Wolfram Alpha page on the subject. Of course, it is possible to define many different coordinate systems. The question of whether we can use a negative r in standard polar coordinates is a legalistic issue, it's a matter of definition and I don't claim that Wolfram Alpha is ultimate authority. (Another interesting legalistic issue of what range of angles is permitted in standard polar coordinates. Wolfram says to "use the two argument arctan function" to compute the angle.)

Maybe the people who do the "chart and atlas" thing for the coordinates of manifolds can point out an authoritative source.

Stephen, negative values of r aren't typically used when expressing the polar coordinates of a point, but often come up when writing down a polar equation

r=sin(theta) for example gives many negative values of r. So we just say that negative values of r are on the other side of the origin because that is what gives us graphs that look good and useful to us

Office_Shredder said:
negative values of r aren't typically used when expressing the polar coordinates of a point, but often come up when writing down a polar equation

But are the ordered pairs produced by a "polar equation" necessarily "polar coordinates"? Or are they merely numbers that can be converted to a polar cordinates?

As I said, this is a legalistic technicality that depends on the strict definition of "polar coordinates". It's interesting how the usual web sources are slightly ambiguous about the relation between "polar equations" and "polar coordinates".

A more general technicality is what are the general requirements for a "coordinate system". In particular, do we wish the same point to be described by more than one set of coordinates? Do we allow the the conversion formulae from one coordinate system to another to be functions that don't have inverses?

This is why I suspect that the people who study mainfolds in rigorous fashion are the ones to explain this.

Related to Is radius a misnomer in a polar equation?

1. Is the term "radius" commonly used in polar equations?

Yes, the term "radius" is commonly used in polar equations to refer to the distance from the origin to a point on the polar curve.

2. Why is the term "radius" considered a misnomer in polar equations?

The term "radius" is considered a misnomer in polar equations because it does not accurately reflect the meaning of the variable in polar coordinates. In polar coordinates, the variable represents the distance from the origin to a point, but it does not necessarily correspond to the geometric concept of a radius in a circle.

3. What is the correct term for the variable in polar equations?

The correct term for the variable in polar equations is "polar distance" or "polar radius". These terms more accurately describe the concept of the variable in polar coordinates.

4. Are there any situations where using the term "radius" in polar equations is appropriate?

Yes, there are some situations where using the term "radius" in polar equations is appropriate, such as when the polar curve is a circle or when the variable is used to represent the distance from the origin to a point on the curve, as in the case of polar coordinates.

5. How can I avoid confusion when using the term "radius" in polar equations?

To avoid confusion, it is important to clearly define the terms used in polar equations and to make the distinction between the geometric concept of a radius and the variable in polar coordinates. Additionally, using alternative terms like "polar distance" or "polar radius" can help to clarify the meaning of the variable in polar equations.