Is R^w a first category topological vector space?

In summary, In this conversation, the topic being discussed is about proving that an infinite-dimensional topological vector space, X, which is the union of countably many finite-dimensional subspaces is first category in itself. The conversation delves into an example of using R^n as the finite-dimensional subspaces, which leads to a contradiction with the problem. The conversation also discusses the construction of the union and the proof of "nonempty interior" for R^w. The main point of contention is whether the construction is a union of finite-dimensional sets and the proof of "nonempty interior" for R^w.
redrzewski
This is from Rudin, Functional Analysis 2.1. Not homework.

If X is an infinite-dimensional topological vector space which is the union of countably many finite-dimensional subspaces, prove X is first category in itself.

What about this example? Take R^n (standard n-dimensional space of reals) as each of the finite-dimensional subspaces. Then the union as n goes from 1 to infinity will be R^w.

R^w is infinite-dimensional, and it will contain closed sets that have non-empty interior. R^w seems like it will satify the axioms of the topological vector space. Hence this would contradict the problem.

What am I missing?

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
redrzewski said:
Then the union as n goes from 1 to infinity will be R^w.

This is not true, just as [itex]R \cup R \neq R^2 [/itex].

I was assuming R U R^2 U R^3 = R^3, etc.

I'm getting hung up on if this construction actually is a union of finite dimensional sets. On the one hand, given any set in the union, it has finite dimension.

On the other hand, since every set is a superset of the ones of lower dimensions, and that the total union has infinite dimension, it seems like one of the sets in the union must have infinite dimension.

Last edited:
redrzewski said:
What am I missing?

the proof of "nonempty interior"

I don't understand the comment. Are you saying that R^w is 1st category, and that I need to prove it?

But the closure of any open ball B(0,r) in a metric for R^w has non-empty interior, right?

Related to Is R^w a first category topological vector space?

1. What is functional analysis?

Functional analysis is a branch of mathematics and mathematical analysis that studies the properties of functions and their behavior. It involves the study of spaces of functions and the transformations that act on them.

2. How is functional analysis used in science?

Functional analysis is used in various fields of science, including physics, engineering, and computer science. In physics, it is used to study the behavior of physical systems and their underlying mathematical structures. In engineering, it is used to model and analyze complex systems, such as those found in control theory and signal processing. In computer science, it is used to develop algorithms and analyze their efficiency.

3. What are some applications of functional analysis?

Some common applications of functional analysis include optimization, differential equations, and probability theory. It is also used in fields such as quantum mechanics, harmonic analysis, and numerical analysis. Additionally, functional analysis has applications in economics, biology, and other areas of science.

4. What are the main concepts in functional analysis?

The main concepts in functional analysis include topological spaces, normed spaces, linear operators, and functionals. Topological spaces are used to define the structure of a space of functions, while normed spaces provide a way to measure the size of a function. Linear operators are transformations that act on functions, and functionals are linear maps from a space of functions to the real numbers.

5. What are some common tools used in functional analysis?

Some common tools used in functional analysis include Banach spaces, Hilbert spaces, and Fourier analysis. Banach spaces are complete normed vector spaces, while Hilbert spaces are complete inner product spaces. Fourier analysis is a powerful tool used to decompose functions into simpler components and study their behavior.