Is Point M on the Circumscribed Circle of Square ABCD?

In summary: This would give the same equation of the circle, but with opposite sign for the y-coordinate.Prove that point M = intersection AE and BF, is on circle about ABCD.I'm confused :redface: … the way I've drawn it, they intersect inside the square. :confused:I am a little bit "befuddled" about the sentence "point on a circle about square", however I am assuming that you are referring about four corners of a square on a circle . The proper sentence should be " circumscribing the square on the circle" that way there is no confusion.Nonetheless, letting AB=BC=CD=DA =a; E=a/3 from point B; F=a/4 from point
veljko_c
Let on side BC of square ABCD set point E, BE:EC=1:2. On side DC point F
(D-C-F), CF:DF=1:3.
Prove that point M = intersection AE and BF, is on circle about ABCD.

Please help.
Thnx

Physics news on Phys.org
veljko_c said:

Please help.
Thnx
Here's one way, not necessarly the best but just because I tend to be "analytic". Set up a coordinate system in which the origin is at the center of the square, side AB is x= -1, side CD is x= 1, side BC is y= -1, and side AD is y= -1.

B is (-1, -1) and C is (1, -1) so E is (x,-1) with 1- x= 2(x- (-1)) so 1- x= 2x+ 2 or 3x= -1 so x= -1/3. E is (-1/3, -1) and the line through A and E, the line through (-1, 1) and (-1/3,-1), is y= -3(x+1)+ 1= -3x- 2.

D is (1, 1) so F is (1, y) with y+1= 3(y- 1)= 3(y- 1) so y+ 1= 3y- 3 or 2y= 4 so y= 2. F is (1, 2) and the line through B and F, the line through (-1, -1) and (1, 2) is y= (3/2)(x+1)-1= (3/2)x+ 1/2.

M is the point at which those two lines intersect so you can find it by solving the two equation simultaneously. Then find the distance from that point to the center of the square, (0,0), and show that is the same as the distance from (0,0) to each of the vertices of the square.

Welcome to PF!

Hi veljko_c! Welcome to PF! :smile:
veljko_c said:

I'm confused :redface: … the way I've drawn it, they intersect inside the square. :confused:

I am a little bit "befuddled" about the sentence "point on a circle about square", however I am assuming that you are referring about four corners of a square on a circle . The proper sentence should be " circumscribing the square on the circle" that way there is no confusion.

Nonetheless, letting AB=BC=CD=DA =a; E=a/3 from point B; F=a/4 from point C. Point M, by visual examination, is inside the square and the circle and is not at the center of the circle.

veljko_c said:
tiny-tim said:
I'm confused :redface: … the way I've drawn it, they intersect inside the square. :confused:

Oh I get it now …

M is on the circle that fits inside the square …​

so define x and y coordinates for A B C and D, find the gradients of AE and BF, and write an equation y = (gradient)x + constant for both, and eliminate y, and show that x2 + y2 = AB2/4 :smile:

Tiny Tim, are you saying the the square inscribes the circle, another word, the sides of the square are tangent to the circle?

I just think that the original question was badly worded.
Good going on the solution Tiny-Tim

We need the OP to clarify the problem, but I took the parenthetical expression "(D-C-F)" to mean that the point F is on the extended line CF, i.e. it is not on the side of the square but is outside of it. If you draw it this way, then the two lines intersect outside the square.

I believe this is how HallsOfIvy interpreted it as well, although I would have put point F at (1,-2), taking the ordering D-C-F to mean that F must be below the point C.

Related to Is Point M on the Circumscribed Circle of Square ABCD?

1. What is the definition of a "point on circle about square"?

A "point on circle about square" refers to a geometric shape in which a point is located on the circumference of a circle that is inscribed within a square. The point is equidistant from all sides of the square and lies on the circle's circumference.

2. How is the position of the point determined on a "point on circle about square"?

The position of the point on a "point on circle about square" is determined by the radius of the circle and the length of the sides of the square. The point is located at the intersection of the circle's circumference and the perpendicular bisectors of the square's sides.

3. What are the properties of a "point on circle about square"?

The properties of a "point on circle about square" include: the point is equidistant from all sides of the square, the distance from the point to the center of the square is equal to the radius of the circle, and the point divides the perimeter of the square into four equal segments.

4. How is a "point on circle about square" used in real life?

A "point on circle about square" is used in various fields such as architecture, engineering, and mathematics. It is commonly used for constructing circular structures within a square space, as well as for calculating distances and angles in geometric problems.

5. Can a "point on circle about square" be generalized to other shapes?

Yes, the concept of a "point on circle about square" can be generalized to other shapes such as triangles and regular polygons. The principle remains the same, where the point lies on the circumference of a circle inscribed within the shape and is equidistant from all sides.