Is Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg Worth Reading?

In summary, The conversation discusses the subject of the book recommendations and the books mentioned are Time, Space and Things by B. K. Ridley and Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg. The latter is part of the "World Perspectives" series and can be found on eBay. The books are recommended due to their notable sources, including Bohr and Oppenheimer, and Jacques Maritain, a noted Catholic philosopher and scholar.
Pinu7
Admit it, the subject is interesting. I have my own "theories" about it, but can you recommend me a book?

Physics news on Phys.org
Time, Space and Things by B. K. Ridley.

Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg, 1958, publisher: Harper, part of the "World Perspectives" series. A rare find at a used bookstore. I would suggest eBay.

Not sure I agree with everything written here, but it is hard to argue with the source. It is notable that among the dozen or so "Board of Editors" for the series both Bohr and Oppenheimer are listed (not necessarily for THIS book, though). Also a gentleman named Jacques Maritain, a noted Catholic philosopher and scholar who wrote a very powerful treatise on the importance of a classical, liberal arts education for academics is present. I only note him as I had to read this treatise in my phil. of education course as an undergrad.

Related to Is Physics and Philosophy by Werner Heisenberg Worth Reading?

1. What is the purpose of a Philosophy of Physics Book?

A Philosophy of Physics Book explores the fundamental questions and concepts that underlie the study of physics. It delves into the philosophical implications of the scientific theories and principles that govern our understanding of the physical world.

2. Who would benefit from reading a Philosophy of Physics Book?

Anyone interested in the intersection of science and philosophy can benefit from reading a Philosophy of Physics Book. It can be particularly useful for students and researchers in physics, as well as those in related fields such as philosophy, mathematics, and engineering.

3. What topics are typically covered in a Philosophy of Physics Book?

A Philosophy of Physics Book can cover a wide range of topics, including the nature of space and time, the role of mathematics in physics, the relationship between physical laws and causation, and the implications of quantum mechanics and relativity for our understanding of reality.

4. Is a background in physics necessary to understand a Philosophy of Physics Book?

While a background in physics can certainly be helpful in understanding some of the concepts and theories discussed in a Philosophy of Physics Book, it is not always necessary. Many books in this field are written in a way that is accessible to a general audience, and can be understood by anyone with an interest in the subject.

5. Are there any notable philosophers or physicists who have written about the philosophy of physics?

Yes, there are many notable figures who have contributed to the field of philosophy of physics. Some notable examples include Albert Einstein, Niels Bohr, Richard Feynman, and Stephen Hawking. Philosophers such as René Descartes, Immanuel Kant, and Ludwig Wittgenstein have also made significant contributions to the philosophy of physics.