Is Phi a Valid Counterexample? Examining the Limits of Integration

In summary, the problem is that when you substitute f = 1 / \phi_n for f in the limit, you get a result that is not a function constant.
DeadWolfe
As a problem I was asked to show that phi, as defined by:
[tex]\phi_n(t) = \frac{n}{\pi(1+n^2t^2)}[/tex]
Satisfies the property that for any f with the property to continuious at 0, then:
[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi_n(t)f(t)dt = f(0)[/tex]
But if we let f be 1/phi, we see that it is continuous, but f(0) = 0 and the above integral is infinity.
Is this a valid counterexample?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is phi? I know what phi_n is, but not phi. (so, no it isn't a counter example, and for 1/phi(0) to be 0 phi would have to be infinity at 0)

Last edited:
Well, can I let f = 1/phi_n? Then clearly:
[tex] f(0) = \frac{\pi(1+n^2 (0)^2)}{n} = 0 [/tex]
What is wrong with that?

Well, can I let f = 1/phi_n? Then clearly:
If you can, it certainly cannot be the same n used by the limit.

I do not see why that is the case.

[tex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \phi_n(t)f(t)dt = f(0)[/tex]
The n attached to the limit simple only exists within the scope of the limit. It has absolutely no relation to any other n's that might appear elsewhere.

In fact, many dialects of the language of mathematics expressly forbid making a substitution where the substituted term uses a symbol that is introduced by the context.

In short, the symbol [itex]\lim_{n \rightarrow \infty}[/itex] introduces the symbol n, therefore such dialects expressly forbid you to make any substitutions inside the limit that contain the symbol n. (Such as your attempt at substituting [itex]f = 1 / \phi_n[/itex])

For a different, intuitive reason, in the above limit, f is a function constant. It refers to precisely one (unspecified) function of one variable. Not many functions of one variable, and not one function of two variables.

When you make the naive substitution [itex]f = 1 / \phi_n[/itex], you've replaced f with something that is not a function constant -- the function you're using changes as n changes, which conflicts with the original syntax that specifies that you're supposed to be using the same function f for all n.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that [itex]f := 1 / \phi_n[/itex] is an ill-formed definition -- the symbol n has no meaning in this context, so it doesn't make sense to define anything in terms of n.

Last edited:
Thank you Hurkyl.

My view would simply be that in the statement of the result, we pick f and fix it, then we write
[tex] \int phi_n f dx[/tex]

as a sequence, this sequence tends to f(0)

now you want to pick a different f for each term in the sequence. you simply can't do that, it is contradicting the hypotheses of the statement, as well as the other deeper philosophical implications of hurkyl's post.

Thank you as well Matt.

Related to Is Phi a Valid Counterexample? Examining the Limits of Integration

1. What is Phi and why is it important in integration?

Phi, also known as the golden ratio, is a mathematical constant that is approximately equal to 1.618. It is important in integration because it can serve as a valid counterexample in certain scenarios, where it can challenge the limits of integration and lead to further exploration and understanding of the concept.

2. How is Phi used as a counterexample in integration?

Phi can be used as a counterexample in integration by challenging the traditional limits and assumptions of the concept. For example, in certain cases, using Phi as an upper limit in integration can lead to unexpected results or divergent series, which can prompt further investigation and refinement of integration techniques.

3. Can Phi be used as a counterexample in all types of integration?

No, Phi may not be applicable as a counterexample in all types of integration. Its effectiveness as a counterexample may depend on the specific scenario and the integration technique being used. Additionally, there may be other mathematical constants or variables that can serve as counterexamples in certain cases.

4. What are some potential implications of using Phi as a counterexample in integration?

Using Phi as a counterexample in integration can lead to a deeper understanding of the limits and complexities of the concept. It can also inspire the development of new integration techniques and approaches. However, it is important to carefully consider the validity and applicability of Phi in each scenario before drawing any conclusions.

5. How can scientists further explore the limits of integration using Phi as a counterexample?

Scientists can further explore the limits of integration using Phi as a counterexample by conducting mathematical analyses and simulations. They can also collaborate with other scientists and share their findings to collectively deepen the understanding of integration and its applications in various fields of study.