Is Peukert's Law Applicable for Calculating Battery Life at Microampere Levels?

In summary: The law itself is an exponential, whereas the current range you are dealing with is linear.Based on this information, it is unlikely that Peukert's law will be applicable to your situation. Instead, you should consult the battery's datasheet and take into account its self-drain rate and shelf-life to get a more accurate estimate of battery life. In summary, Peukert's law does not apply to 9V alkaline batteries and you should consult the battery's datasheet for a more accurate estimate of battery life.
frenchero
Hi everybody,

I would like to use a 9V pp3 battery with a device with a rate of order of µA. Iwanted to use Peukert's law to calculate the duration of my battery but I am not quite sure if it is applicable for such low current... Won't a battery with 1200mAh capacity discharge too fast?

Thanks

Damien

Engineering news on Phys.org
frenchero said:
Hi everybody,

I would like to use a 9V pp3 battery with a device with a rate of order of µA. Iwanted to use Peukert's law to calculate the duration of my battery but I am not quite sure if it is applicable for such low current... Won't a battery with 1200mAh capacity discharge too fast?

Thanks

Damien

Peukert's law appears to apply to lead-acid batteries, like car batteries, not to 9V alkaline batteries.

To calculate battery life, look at the battery datasheet (get it from the manufacturer's website), and look for the discharge time line for that low current.

You will have to look at the battery's self-drain rate and shelf-life, because just taking into account the load by itself won't give you an accurate estimate. For example, 10 micro-amps at 9V (90 micro-watts) would take 5000 days (13.7 years) to drain a 1200 mAh 9V battery.

berkeman said:
Peukert's law appears to apply to lead-acid batteries, like car batteries, not to 9V alkaline batteries.

It also appears that Peukert's law is meant to be applied to when the drain rate on a battery is larger than 1A, but not necessarily the micro amp range.

Last edited:

Related to Is Peukert's Law Applicable for Calculating Battery Life at Microampere Levels?

What is the definition of "Battery duration for µA rate"?

Battery duration for µA rate refers to the length of time a battery can power a device when it is drawing a current of microamperes (µA). This is typically measured in units of hours.

Why is battery duration for µA rate important to consider?

Battery duration for µA rate is important to consider because it indicates how long a device can operate before the battery needs to be replaced or recharged. This is especially important for devices that have low power consumption and draw small currents, such as sensors or medical devices.

How is battery duration for µA rate calculated?

Battery duration for µA rate is calculated by dividing the battery's capacity (measured in ampere-hours or mAh) by the current draw in microamperes (µA). This gives the total number of hours the battery can power the device before it needs to be replaced or recharged.

What factors can affect battery duration for µA rate?

Several factors can affect battery duration for µA rate, including the type and quality of the battery, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the age of the battery. The efficiency of the device and any external factors, such as power management settings, can also impact the battery duration.

How can battery duration for µA rate be extended?

To extend the battery duration for µA rate, you can use a more efficient battery, optimize the device's power management settings, and reduce the device's power consumption. Additionally, storing the battery in a cool and dry environment can help prolong its lifespan.