Is periodic but has no period ?

You still don't have it.A function f is said to be periodic if there exists a number P such that f(x+P)= f(x) for all x. The number P is called a period of the function. For example, the function sin(x) is periodic with period 2π. This means that sin(x+2π)= sin(x) for all x. The function f(x)= 1 is periodic but has no period because for any number P, f(x+P)= 1= f(x) for all x. So every number is a period, there is no smallest period.
lovemake1

Homework Statement

Today i came across this one question where i had no clue of how to proove.

it says f(x) = { 1, x rational
......{ ---------------------is periodic but have no period. (Proove it/Show it)
.....{ 0, x irrational

ignore the dots and dashes., just for indentation.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand so far that 1/1 makes 1 rational, and 1/0 makes 0 irrational.
but how do we know if f(x) = 1 and f(x) = 0 is periodic?
arnt they just verticle line along x-axis ? at y=1 and y=0

im very confused, I am not even sure if i understand what the question is asking.
please help me clearify my thoughts.

Physics news on Phys.org
lovemake1 said:
I understand so far that 1/1 makes 1 rational, and 1/0 makes 0 irrational.
This doesn't make sense,

but how do we know if f(x) = 1 and f(x) = 0 is periodic?
nor this.

Could you try explaining what you mean in more detail?

(Just to check, do you know what f(3/7) and f(pi) are? My apologies if the question is too simple)

What is the definition of "f is periodic"? What is the definition of "f has no period"? (If your answer is "'f has a period' is false", then what is the definition of "f has a period"?)

ok sorry for making the question so complicated.

This is how exactly it is worded.
"Show that function f(x) = 1 , x rational is periodic but has no period."
"Show that function f(x) = 0, x irational is periodic but has no period."

please help

That doesn't make any sense as written. Probably what is intended is

Let f(x) be defined by
f(x)=1 if x is rational
f(x)=0 if x is irrational

Show that f(x) is periodic but has no period

So you're going to need to know two things
1) What does it mean for a function to be periodic?
2) What does it mean for a function to have a period?

lovemake1 said:
ok sorry for making the question so complicated.

This is how exactly it is worded.
"Show that function f(x) = 1 , x rational is periodic but has no period."
"Show that function f(x) = 0, x irational is periodic but has no period."

please help
I would take this to be the statement of two separate problems.

In the first problem f is defined to be the constant function 1 with domain the rational numbers.
In the second problem, f is defined to be the constant function 0 with domain the irrational numbers.

But your original problem statement suggested something more like what Office Shredder wrote.

There is an ambiguity here, perhaps intentional- a function, f, is periodic if there exist a number, P, such that f(x+ P)= f(x). "A" period of a periodic function is any P such that that is true. Of course, if f(x+ P)= f(x), then f(x+ 2P)= f((x+P)+ P)= f(x+P)= f(x) so any multiple of a period is also a period. The period of a periodic function is the smallest non-zero such P.

So a function can be periodic but "have no period" if and only if it has no smallest positive period. Any constant function has that property because every real number is a period and there is no smallest positive real number.

For this function, let x be any real number, d any rational number. Then
1) if x is rational, x+ d is also rational (the rationals are closed under addition) so f(x+ d)= 1 = f(x).

2) if x is irrational, x+ d is also irrational (If not, if x+ d= p, a rational number, then x= p- d= p+ (-d) which is impossible because the rationals are closed under addition) so f(x)= 0= f(x+ d)

Thus, this function is periodic with any rational number as "a" period. It "has no period" because there is no smallest positive rational number.

Last edited by a moderator:
Function is periodic but has no period?

Homework Statement

Show that the function f(x) = 1, x rational is periodic but has no period.
Show that the function f(x) = 0, x irrational is periodic but has no period.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I really have no clue how to approach this question,
im in trasitional phase from high school math to university calculus math.

And this is one of thoes math problems i just zone out... and the question is worded very strangely for me. not understanding properly.

well i know that it is periodic because its a horizontal line along x axis.
and I am not sure why it doesn't have a period ? maybe because its infinitely long?

can someone help me proove this ?
it would really help me.

It does sound weird at first sight (like that phrase) yet it is almost common sense! What does it mean to say a function f(x) is periodic? For a start f(x) = ?

Please use your original thread.

i understand that functions have period when (x+p) = f(x) = (x+p+p) because there are intervals that exist, hence f(x) equals original value at these points.

what do you mean by no smallest positive rational number?
could you clarify that part?

please help, if you have other explanations.

(two threads merged)

lovemake1 said:
i understand that functions have period when (x+p) = f(x) = (x+p+p)
No, this isn't the definition. A function f is periodic with period p if f(x + p) = f(x) for all x.
lovemake1 said:
because there are intervals that exist, hence f(x) equals original value at these points.

Unlike, say, the positive integers, there is no smallest rational number. If you propose a rational number r as the smallest, I will counter with r/2. No matter which rational number you choose, I can come up with another one that is smaller.

lovemake1 said:
i understand that functions have period when (x+p) = f(x) = (x+p+p) because there are intervals that exist, hence f(x) equals original value at these points.

please help, if you have other explanations.

"functions have period when (x+p) = f(x) = (x+p+p)"

You probably meant f(x + p) = f(x) = f(x + p + p) - what you wrote is not the definition of a periodic function.

You could just write f(x) = f(x + p) . It is actually true that, as you write, f(x) = f(x + p + p) - or more conventionally f(x) = f(x + 2p) - but that is not part of the definition of periodic it is something that follows from the definition of periodic. Think, if f(x) = f(x + p) for all x in the domain and for some p then you can argue in various ways, and I hope see, that f(x) also = f(x + 2p). Which also = what else? In general?

Now take the first part of your problem "Show that the function f(x) = 1, x rational is periodic". Now take any rational number, say 2, for x. What is f(x) in this case - i.e. what is f(2) according to that definition of f? And take another rational number, say 1/4 for p. What is f(x + p) for these values? If this makes the idea clear, write it down for any rational x and p.

This exercise is not about complicated calculations. It is not about knowing anything. It is about giving yourself permission to think (though in a logical mathematical way) and to express the thought using symbols.

I suspect that the function involved is really "f(x)= 1 if x is rational, f(x)= 0 if x is irrational" and this is just one problem.

Related to Is periodic but has no period ?

1. What does it mean for something to be periodic but have no period?

Periodicity refers to the occurrence of a pattern or cycle that repeats itself at regular intervals. In other words, something is considered periodic if it follows a predictable and consistent pattern over time. However, there are cases where a system or phenomenon appears to be periodic but has no identifiable period or cycle.

2. Can you give an example of something that is periodic but has no period?

One example of this phenomenon is chaotic systems. These are systems that exhibit seemingly random behavior, but upon closer examination, they follow a deterministic pattern. While they may appear to have a period, it is impossible to predict or determine the exact length of the period.

3. How can something be considered periodic if it has no period?

Even though a system or phenomenon may not have an identifiable period, it may still exhibit characteristics of periodicity. This can be seen in chaotic systems, where there is a repeating pattern, but the exact length of the pattern cannot be determined.

4. What are the implications of something being periodic but having no period?

This concept challenges our understanding of periodicity and the assumptions we make about predictability in science. It also highlights the complexity and unpredictability of certain systems, even when they appear to follow a pattern.

5. How do scientists study or analyze something that is periodic but has no period?

Scientists use mathematical tools and techniques, such as chaos theory and fractal analysis, to study and analyze systems that exhibit this phenomenon. These methods allow scientists to identify patterns and trends in seemingly chaotic systems and gain a better understanding of their behavior.