Is Only If Logic Misinterpreted in Mathematical Statements?

• Thread starter Atomised
  • Start date
You have to be very careful with Wikipedia and always double-check your information. But it's still a great resource despite potential errors.
Atomised
Gold Member
1. Question in book is:

State which of the following are true / false

a) n = 3 only if n^2 - 2n - 3 = 0

b) n^2 - 2n - 3 = 0 only if n=3

c) If n^2 - 2n - 3 = 0 then n = 3

The solutions it gives are

a) True b) False c) False

2. My assumptions

P only if Q is logically equivalent to If Q then P

The Attempt at a Solution

Taking P to be n=3
And Q to be n^2 - 2n - 3 = 0

Restating the question

a) Q implies P

b) P implies Q

c) Q implies P

Since a) & c) are logically equivalent they must have the same answer yet the printed solution states otherwise.

What am I not getting?

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
a) If n=3 then n^2 - 2n - 3 = 0 - Yes if n is equal to 3 , then n^2- 2n - 3 is equal to zero
b)If n^2 - 2n - 3 = 0 then n=3 - No. n can be -1 too.
c)If n^2 - 2n - 3 = 0 then n = 3 - This means the same as b.

Likes 1 person
Thank you

So X only if Y is logically equivalent to if X then Y?

Atomised said:
Thank you

Suppose: X only if Y:

X True, Y True (Yes)
X True, Y False (No)
X False, Y True (Yes)
X False, Y False (Yes)

Suppose: If X, then Y:

You can confirm that the above holds. So, yes they are the same.

Note: I've used "yes" for this combination does not break the rule; and, "no" for breaks the rule.

Note "only if" is really only used to test your logical thinking. Because of the above equivalence, in practice most people use "if X then Y".

You can also check from the above table that these are also equivalent to "If not Y, then not X".

Likes 1 person
Atomised said:
I am sure PeroK and adjacent are both quite right but I can only conclude that there is misleading information out there e.g. http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mathematical_Proof/Introduction/Logical_Reasoning seems to categorically state that 'P only if Q' equates to 'If Q Then P' What am I missing?

It's a bit misleading because it doesn't say clearly what the "if" and "only if" apply to. The way to interpret that truth table is:

P iff Q means "P if Q" and "P only if Q"; which is equivalent to "Q => P" and "P => Q"

http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Mathematical_Proof/Introduction/Logical_Reasoning gives the wrong symbols under the heading "Implication types", and later it uses talks about "existence" instead of "truth". Statements like
To say that "P is sufficient for Q" means "P cannot exist without Q" or "if P then Q"
are at best very confusing IMO.

I would treat it the same as the rest of Wikipedia, i.e. assume what is says is true only if you already know it is true :smile:

For a better explanation, see http://www.math.csusb.edu/notes/logic/lognot/node1.html and http://www.math.csusb.edu/notes/logic/eequiv/eequiv.html

Likes 1 person
Atomised said:
Thank you

"X if Y" means "if Y then X," clearly.

I'll also assume that you know that "X if and only if Y" means "if X then Y, and if Y then X".

Therefore we can conclude that "X only if Y" must be "if X then Y" because adding this to "X if Y" adds that implication to its logical meaning.

Likes 1 person
AlephZero - thanks for busting wikipedia - I should know better than to be misled by it.

1MileCrash - I am now having the aha moment... of course the 'only if' is the other direction from 'if' in iff, also a brilliant way of remembering it thank you, job done.

AlephZero said:
I would treat it the same as the rest of Wikipedia, i.e. assume what is says is true only if you already know it is true :smile:
:smile: So true

Related to Is Only If Logic Misinterpreted in Mathematical Statements?

What does "If only I understood only if" mean?

"If only I understood only if" is a common phrase used to express frustration or regret over not being able to fully comprehend or understand something. It implies a desire to have a deeper understanding or knowledge of a certain subject or concept.

Can you give an example of "If only I understood only if"?

One example of this phrase is when a student struggles to understand a difficult math concept and says, "If only I understood only if, I would have aced that exam."

How can one improve their understanding of "If only I understood only if"?

Improving one's understanding of "If only I understood only if" can be achieved through active learning and seeking out additional resources or explanations. This could include asking questions, participating in discussions, or doing further research on the topic.

Why do people use "If only I understood only if"?

People use "If only I understood only if" because it is a relatable and concise way to express feelings of frustration or regret over not fully comprehending something. It allows individuals to acknowledge their lack of understanding while also expressing a desire for improvement.

Is "If only I understood only if" a common saying in the scientific community?

While this phrase may not be commonly used in the scientific community specifically, the sentiment behind it is relatable to many fields of study. Scientists, like any other individuals, can also experience frustration or regret over not fully understanding a concept or phenomenon.