Is Ohm's Law Applicable to Semiconductors in a Magnetic Field?

In summary, Ohm's Law cannot be applied to semiconductors as they do not follow its principles and have a non-linear V-I graph. However, within a certain range, semiconductors may exhibit Ohmic-like behavior that is still governed by resistive heating and carrier density. To determine the validity of Ohm's Law in a specific scenario, plotting out the IV values and observing if they form a straight line is recommended.
MementoMori96
Is correct to calculate the resistance of a semiconductor sample in a magnetic field with ohm’s law?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohm's Law is for conductors. Semiconductors do not follow Ohm's Law, which is evident from their V-I graph. So Ohm's law cannot be applied to semiconductors under any circumstance.

Wrichik Basu said:
Ohm's Law is for conductors. Semiconductors do not follow Ohm's Law, which is evident from their V-I graph. So Ohm's law cannot be applied to semiconductors under any circumstance.

Outside of the gap voltage, IV (or VI) curves of a typical semiconductor still have Ohmic-like behavior over some range. Of course, this is still governed by a range where resistive heating doesn't come into play and in regions where the carrier density does not change considerably.

MementoMori96 said:
Is correct to calculate the resistance of a semiconductor sample in a magnetic field with ohm’s law?

Why don't you plot out the IV values? If it is a straight line, then within that range, Ohm's law is valid. If it isn't, then you've gone beyond the validity range.

Zz.

Last edited:

Related to Is Ohm's Law Applicable to Semiconductors in a Magnetic Field?

1. What is Ohm's law?

Ohm's law states that the current through a conductor between two points is directly proportional to the voltage across the two points.

2. What is the equation for Ohm's law?

The equation for Ohm's law is I = V/R, where I is the current, V is the voltage, and R is the resistance of the conductor.

3. How does magnetic field affect Ohm's law?

Magnetic field does not directly affect Ohm's law. However, when a conductor is placed in a magnetic field, the force on the charges in the conductor can change the resistance, therefore altering the current and voltage relationship.

4. What is the relationship between magnetic field and current in Ohm's law?

Magnetic field does not have a direct relationship with current in Ohm's law. However, when a conductor is placed in a magnetic field, the magnetic field can induce an electromotive force (EMF) which can affect the current through the conductor.

5. Can Ohm's law be applied to all circuits?

Ohm's law can be applied to most circuits, but there are some exceptions such as circuits with non-ohmic elements like diodes and transistors. Additionally, Ohm's law is only applicable to direct current (DC) circuits and not alternating current (AC) circuits.