Is Noether's theorem deductive?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between Noether's theorem and induction in the philosophy of science. It is explained that Noether's theorem can be derived without induction, but it still relies on experimental verification of the laws of nature. The conversation also touches on the difference between a theory and a theorem, and the importance of experimental results in creating a useful theory in physics.
Mektrik
Hi all,
I'm writing something on the philosophy of science and I was wondering if those of you more knowledgeable than me could lend a helping hand. What I want to know is whether Noether's theoerm can be derived without induction. Given the fact that it is a theorem as opposed to a theory, it seems intuitive that one can derive it without observation. However, I'd love to hear what you have to say.

Just so that we're on the same wavelength, by induction I mean any reference to the observable world. Newton's theory of gravitation is inductive whereas Pythagoras is clearly deductive.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Whether the laws of nature actually do possesses any particular symmetry is a matter of observation and experiment.

Whether the existence of a particular symmetry leads to a conserved quantity is proven by Noether's theorem. That fact is independent of observation and experiment.

If you want to deduce conservation of momentum from Noether's theorem you first have to get some experimental verification that the laws of nature are invariant under translation.

To reiterate what I said the last time you asked this same question, "No, you cannot deduce conservation of momentum without recourse to experiment".

Similarly, the truth of the Pythagorean theorem does not assure you that the sum of the squares of the lengths of two sides of a [large] right triangle drawn on the [spherical] surface of the Earth will equal the square of the length of the remaining side. Not all of the assumptions underlying the Pythagorean theorem hold true in such a case.

Last edited:
Mektrik said:
Given the fact that it is a theorem as opposed to a theory, it seems intuitive that one can derive it without observation.
What is a theory of physics? Said simplistically, it's an algorithm which allows to derive conclusions (theorems) from postulates, definitions and mathematical rules, provided all of these things are mutually consistent.

In mathematics, you can wake up tomorrow morning and invent a new set of postulates, definitions and rules, which are mutually consistent, and...voila', you have a new theory.

But that's not enough in physics, all of what you create also have not to contradict experimental results. For this reason, in physics you don't start from arbitrary postulates, you start from experimental laws, or the risk to create a useless theory is extremely high...

So, to answer your "intuition": yes, you derive theorems, from postulates, without experiments, BUT it's only because somene else has proved experimentally the validity of the postulates.

Last edited:

Related to Is Noether's theorem deductive?

1. What is Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem is a fundamental principle in physics that relates symmetries in a system to conserved quantities. It was developed by mathematician Emmy Noether in the early 20th century.

2. Is Noether's theorem deductive or inductive?

Noether's theorem is deductive, meaning it is derived from a set of axioms or principles and leads to a logically certain conclusion. In this case, the theorem is derived from the principle of least action in classical mechanics.

3. How does Noether's theorem relate to conservation laws?

Noether's theorem states that for every continuous symmetry in a physical system, there exists a corresponding conserved quantity. For example, the symmetry of time translation leads to the conservation of energy.

4. Can Noether's theorem be applied to all physical systems?

Yes, Noether's theorem is a general principle that can be applied to any physical system that exhibits symmetries. It has been successfully applied to a wide range of systems, from classical mechanics to quantum field theory.

5. What are some practical applications of Noether's theorem?

Noether's theorem has been used in many areas of physics, including classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and quantum field theory. It has also been applied in other fields like economics and engineering. Its applications have led to a deeper understanding of physical systems and have helped to make predictions about their behavior.