Is my whiteboard actually porcelain/ceramic steel?

• Thread starter zernikepolynomial
  • Start date
zernikepolynomial
I got this 4x8 ft whiteboard for $150, and it is supposed to be porcelain. The guy I bought it from didn't really know much about it, but he thought it was porcelain because it was very heavy. The guy told me that his wife got it from a used sale for some government building that was being cleared out. The board was old, but it looked in ok shape, so I bought it. Upon closer inspection, there are a few imperfections. There is a tiny scratch or nick near one of the edges, and there is a couple tiny donut shaped imperfections in the surface, with a possible pin hole in the center of them. These imperfect are so small you wont notice them unless you really look for them, such as at a steep reflective angle.

Now, I am not a expert on ceramic enameled steel, but one thing I do know is they are supposed to be difficult to damage and resistant to scratching. I wonder if the donut shaped imperfections were a flaw in the enameling process? Like a trapped air bubble escaping, leaving the tiny ring shapes during the enameling process?

I tried picking at the tiny nick to see if it was stable or not, and I cant make it any worse, so the coating seems super tough. It must have been a pretty strong impact.

Furthermore, I tested the board using a knife to try and scratch the surface (near the edge), but I could not seem to produce a visible or palpable scratch. As far as I know, painted steel boards can be scratched by a metal knife and leave visible damage, while ceramic will generally not unless repeatedly attacked by an abrasive.

Do you think I scored big? This board would probably retail >$500. It looks closest to a best-rite porcelain whiteboard, which is really expensive.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.

You might test it with a magnet, to determine if it has a steel backing.

Baluncore said:
Welcome to PF.

You might test it with a magnet, to determine if it has a steel backing.

I forgot to mention that was the first thing he presented. More importantly, I actually tested both sides, and it is made using the same foil backed MDF wood with a steel top. But is it ceramic or paint? Is paint really that easy to scratch with a metal knife?

If you can scrape some white coating off with the edge of a razor blade, then it is probably an organic paint or a powder coating of polymer, not a ceramic. Does the material you scrape off burn?

If you can find the manufacturer's name, brand, advertisement, or patent number, then you can search the web with that information.