Is my understanding of EM field quantization correct?

In summary, the quantization of an electromagnetic field in vacuum involves the use of operators to raise a vacuum state into a desired quantum state. The field is represented as a superposition of monochromatic states, but when measured, it will give a single value within a certain frequency range. This is due to uncertainties and probabilities inherent in quantum mechanics.
HomogenousCow
Essentially how I understand it is, (this is for the quantization of an EM field in vaccum)
-Fields become operators, a specific E operator will contain the number and multiple of rising and lowering operators needed to raise a vacuum state into the desired quantum state
-The electromagnetic field is a superposition of monochromatic states, corresponding to a superposition of monochromatic waves in the classical theory

However my question is, where do the uncertainties and probabilities come in? If I have a photon state in two frequencies, does that mean the field has a fifty-fifty chance of being in either frequency? I think this must be wrong because if it were true, then all fields would be monochromatic when measured.

Physics news on Phys.org
However my question is, where do the uncertainties and probabilities come in? If I have a photon state in two frequencies, does that mean the field has a fifty-fifty chance of being in either frequency? I think this must be wrong because if it were true, then all fields would be monochromatic when measured.
If you measure photon frequencies with arbitrary precision, you will always get a single value for each measured photon. Real radiation is always a superposition within some frequency range, and a measurement will give some single value. Note that this depends a bit on your favorite interpretation of quantum mechanics.

Related to Is my understanding of EM field quantization correct?

1. What is EM field quantization?

EM field quantization is the process of describing the behavior of the electromagnetic field in terms of discrete units or packets of energy, known as photons. This approach is necessary for understanding the particle-like behavior of electromagnetic radiation, such as light.

2. How does EM field quantization relate to quantum mechanics?

EM field quantization is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics. It helps to explain the dual nature of light as both a wave and a particle, and is necessary for understanding the behavior of subatomic particles and their interactions with electromagnetic fields.

3. What is the significance of EM field quantization in modern physics?

EM field quantization is a crucial concept in modern physics, as it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of electromagnetic radiation and its interactions with matter. It has also led to significant developments in technology, such as quantum computing and telecommunications.

4. How is EM field quantization mathematically described?

EM field quantization is mathematically described using the principles of quantum mechanics and the theory of relativity. It involves the use of mathematical equations, such as the Schrödinger equation and Maxwell's equations, to describe the behavior of electromagnetic fields and their interactions with matter.

5. Are there any practical applications of EM field quantization?

Yes, there are many practical applications of EM field quantization in various fields, such as electronics, telecommunications, and photonics. It has also led to advances in medical imaging techniques, such as MRI, and has potential applications in quantum computing and cryptography.