Is my Three Phase Induction Motor Teacher Giving Me Accurate Information?

In summary, the person in the conversation is expressing doubts about the accuracy and effectiveness of their teacher in teaching them about three phase motors. They mention receiving a handout from a random website instead of proper instruction, and not being taught important concepts such as stator and rotor. They also mention a new formula being introduced incorrectly and not being able to trust their teacher. The person then asks for clarification on a question related to an unbalanced motor and expresses frustration with trying to teach themselves due to the lack of proper instruction.
chris_MH
Hello, I have come to this forum as I don't believe what i am being taught to be entirley accurate and need some clarity on a question (not an exact answer, this is not homework)

To begin, I believe the person 'teaching' my subject is not up to standard as when our final topic of three phase motors came about, instead of teaching the construction, starting principles of operation, poles ect, he gave us a hand out printed froma random website.

The words 'stator', 'rotor' and even how the line windings influence the poles are never mentioned, its more of a case of 'here read this and get on with it'. This has repeated through out my course, for example, a new formula appeared today

power = resistance x voltage I am being taught so how am i meant to know right from wrong ? anyway onto my question, now you know what I am dealing with!

I quote

'motor rated 440v 3000 watt, however one winding has become bad drawing an extra 50% of its current load.

Using three phase theory produce a representational graph to show the effects of an unbalanced motor entering the relevant information'

Basically what my teacher said was this...

Two phases will remain unchanged in terms of their current, frequency and power. He said the output will be current and the input will be 240V voltage (UK) (?)

The third phase however will be out of phase, the current unchanged.

After soooo many months of trying to teach myself and ignore what I am told I can not trust this person, simple errors such as power formula being wrong (not the one above), not being taught anything relevant to assignments, not being taught anything at all at times and blaming us for not knowing it.

Is what I am told true?

Engineering news on Phys.org
If you have a current imbalance, then for sure there's a problem with the motor. The winding probably has a short somewhere or is shorted to the motor casing. You can use a megger aka megaohm meter to test for ground fault condition.

Related to Is my Three Phase Induction Motor Teacher Giving Me Accurate Information?

1. What is a three phase induction motor?

A three phase induction motor is a type of electric motor that operates using three alternating currents, referred to as phases. It is commonly used in industrial and commercial applications due to its efficiency and reliability.

2. How does a three phase induction motor work?

The motor works by using electromagnetic induction to create a rotating magnetic field. The stator, which contains three phase windings, creates a magnetic field that interacts with the rotor, causing it to rotate.

3. What are the advantages of a three phase induction motor?

Some advantages of a three phase induction motor include high efficiency, low maintenance, and the ability to operate at variable speeds. It also has a simple design and does not require additional starting devices.

4. Can a three phase induction motor be used with a single phase power supply?

No, a three phase induction motor requires a three phase power supply in order to operate properly. Attempting to use it with a single phase supply can result in damage to the motor and potential safety hazards.

5. How do you troubleshoot a three phase induction motor?

The first step in troubleshooting a three phase induction motor is to check for any loose connections or damaged components. You can also use a multimeter to test the motor's windings and make sure they are within the appropriate range. If the issue cannot be resolved, it may be necessary to consult a professional electrician or motor technician.