Is my Rolling Body Mechanics Solution Correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving energy conservation, velocity relations, and momentum. The main issue is understanding the correct equations to use in relation to the velocities of the ball and the plane relative to the ground. After careful consideration, it is determined that the velocity relative to the plane is the key factor in solving the problem.
Carbon123

Homework Statement

In the picture ,problem 8.29

Homework Equations

Energy conservation ,velocity relation ,momentum

The Attempt at a Solution

First i defined the speed of the body relative to the ground as Vb and speed of plane relative to the ground as Vp.
From momentum ,VbcosΘ=-Vp .From the non slipping condition ,ωR-Vb=VpcosΘ.This relation seems to be wrong ,the correct aswer is (Vp+VbcosΘ)/cosΘ=ωR which I am incapable of explaining.I also included my work in the pictures

Attachments

• 15019306742351633013540.jpg
    15019306742351633013540.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 421
  • 1501931174371366449559.jpg
    1501931174371366449559.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
Carbon123 said:
First i defined the speed of the body relative to the ground as Vb and speed of plane relative to the ground as Vp.
From momentum ,VbcosΘ=-Vp .
Shouldn't the masses show up in the momentum equation? Also, VbcosΘ is not the horizontal component of the velocity of the ball relative to the ground since Vb does not make an angle Θ to the horizontal. The velocity of the ball relative to the ground is not in the same direction as the velocity of the ball relative to the incline. You will need to think carefully about relative velocities in this problem.

From the non slipping condition ,ωR-Vb=VpcosΘ.This relation seems to be wrong ,the correct aswer is (Vp+VbcosΘ)/cosΘ=ωR which I am incapable of explaining.I also included my work in the pictures
I don't think either of these two equations is correct.

Carbon123 said:
(Vp+VbcosΘ)/cosΘ=ωR
As TSny wrote, that is incorrect, if Vp is as you have defined it. But it does contain some useful pointers.
In the context of the question, what physical entity does ωR represent?
What about ωRcosΘ?
The signs on the velocities depend how the variables are defined. Are they positive in the same direction or in opposite directions?
Are you sure the text isn't defining Vp as a relative velocity?

Yes I realized that the velocity relative to the plane is the one that points along the plane ,not the velocity relative to the ground ,and everything makes sense now.Thank you so much !

Related to Is my Rolling Body Mechanics Solution Correct?

1. What is rolling body mechanics?

Rolling body mechanics is a term used to describe the movement and function of the body when it is rolling or in motion. It involves the coordination and interaction of various body parts and muscles to achieve a smooth and efficient rolling motion.

2. What are the benefits of proper rolling body mechanics?

Proper rolling body mechanics can help prevent injuries and strain on the body, as well as improve performance and efficiency in physical activities. It can also help maintain good posture and balance, and reduce stress on joints and muscles.

3. How can one improve their rolling body mechanics?

Improving rolling body mechanics can be achieved through regular practice and training, as well as proper instruction and guidance from a trained professional. Strengthening and stretching the muscles involved in rolling, as well as maintaining good overall physical fitness, can also help improve rolling body mechanics.

4. Are there different types of rolling body mechanics?

Yes, there are different types of rolling body mechanics depending on the specific activity or sport. For example, the mechanics of rolling in gymnastics may differ from the mechanics of rolling in martial arts. However, the basic principles of coordination and efficient movement still apply.

5. Can poor rolling body mechanics lead to injuries?

Yes, poor rolling body mechanics can lead to injuries such as muscle strains, sprains, and even more serious injuries like fractures. It can also put unnecessary stress on the body, leading to chronic pain and discomfort. Therefore, it is important to maintain proper rolling body mechanics to prevent injuries.