Is My Proper Time the Same as Cosmological or Conformal Time?

In summary, the proper time of an observer traveling with the Hubble flow is equal to the conformal time if they are at rest relative to the CMB. However, if they are not at rest, they will experience a different value. This difference is very small for typical velocities relative to the CMB, but it is worth noting. Additionally, as a free-falling co-moving observer, the local spacetime should be flat and their proper time will be equivalent to the conformal time.
johne1618
As an observer who is simply traveling with the Hubble flow is my proper time the same as the cosmological time or is it equal to the conformal time?

Space news on Phys.org
If you are at rest relative to the CMB, otherwise you will get a different value. For typical velocities relative to the CMB (just the motion of galaxies, not relativistic spacecraft s), the difference is very small compared with the current timing uncertainties.

mfb said:
If you are at rest relative to the CMB, otherwise you will get a different value. For typical velocities relative to the CMB (just the motion of galaxies, not relativistic spacecraft s), the difference is very small compared with the current timing uncertainties.

I think I am a free-falling co-moving observer rather than simply a co-moving observer.

My local spacetime should therefore be flat - in other words my local frame is inertial.

Starting with the FRW metric with cosmological time [itex]t[/itex] and co-moving spatial co-ordinates:

[itex] \large ds^2 = -dt^2 + a(t)^2 [ \frac{dr^2}{1-kr^2} + r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)] [/itex]

I rewrite the FRW metric with conformal time [itex]\tau[/itex] and co-moving spatial co-ordinates:

[itex] \large ds^2 = a(t)^2(-d\tau^2 + \frac{dr^2}{1-kr^2} + r^2(d\theta^2+\sin^2\theta d\phi^2)) [/itex]

where an element of conformal time [itex]d\tau[/itex] is given by

[itex] \large d\tau = \frac{dt}{a(t)} [/itex]

The worldline of a radial lightbeam according to the re-written metric is given by

[itex] \large d\tau = \frac{dr}{\sqrt{1-kr^2}}[/itex]

For small [itex]r[/itex] this metric describes a locally flat spacetime in which light travels on diagonals on a spacetime diagram. This is consistent with the co-ordinate system of a free-falling observer with a local inertial frame.

Therefore I think my proper time is conformal time.

Last edited:

Related to Is My Proper Time the Same as Cosmological or Conformal Time?

What is proper time?

Proper time is the time measured by a clock that is at rest relative to the observer. It is the time experienced by an object or observer in its own frame of reference.

What is cosmological time?

Cosmological time is a measure of time that is based on the expansion of the universe. It takes into account the effects of the expansion on the measurement of time.

What is conformal time?

Conformal time is a measure of time that is used in cosmology to describe the evolution of the universe. It is based on the concept of conformal mapping, which preserves the angles between objects but not their distances.

Is proper time the same as cosmological time?

No, proper time and cosmological time are not the same. Proper time is measured by an observer at rest, while cosmological time takes into account the effects of the expansion of the universe.

Is proper time the same as conformal time?

No, proper time and conformal time are not the same. While proper time is based on the observer's frame of reference, conformal time takes into account the effects of the expansion of the universe and is used in cosmology to describe the evolution of the universe.