Is my proof of Simon's line theorem complete?

In summary, the conversation is about a proof of the Simson's line theorem involving a triangle inscribed in a circle and an arbitrary point P. The conversation includes steps and angles in the proof, as well as a program called Geogebra being used. The original poster also made a correction about a mistake in the theorem's name.
disregardthat
Science Advisor
I have written a proof of the simons line theorem. I would appreciate if someone would tell me if it's complete.

We have [tex]\Delta ABC[/tex] inscrubed in a circle, and [tex]P[/tex] is an arbitrary point that does not coincide with either of the corners of the triangle. (See attached figure).

Now draw perpendiculars from [tex]P[/tex] to [tex][AB][/tex], [tex][AC][/tex] and [tex] [BC][/tex] which intersect with the lines in [tex]U, \ Y[/tex] and [tex]Z[/tex] respectively.

Let [tex]E[/tex] be the point of intersection between [tex][PU][/tex] and [tex][AY][/tex].
Let [tex]T[/tex] be the point of intersection between [tex][AC][/tex] and [tex][BP][/tex].

Let [tex]\angle BZP=\alpha[/tex] and [tex]\angle APU=\beta[/tex].

Now as [tex]\angle BZP[/tex] and [tex]\angle BUP[/tex] are supplementary, [tex]BZPU[/tex] is a cyclic quadrilateral [tex]\Rightarrow \angle PUZ = \alpha[/tex].

Now as [tex]\angle PAC[/tex] subtend over the same arc as [tex]\angle PBZ, \ \angle PAC = \alpha \Rightarrow \angle UAR = 90 - (\alpha +\beta) \Rightarrow \angle ARU = \alpha + \beta \Rightarrow \angle PET = \alpha +\beta[/tex].

Let [tex]\angle UZB = \gamma \Rightarrow \angle UPB = \gamma[/tex].

As [tex]\angle CYP[/tex] and [tex]\angle CZP[/tex] are supplementary, [tex]CZPY[/tex] is a cyclic quadrilateral [tex]\Rightarrow \angle CPY = \gamma[/tex].

As [tex]\angle PAY =\angle PUY[/tex], [tex]APYU[/tex] is a cyclic quadrilateral [tex]\Rightarrow \angle UYA = \beta[/tex].

Now [tex]\angle ETP =180-(\alpha +\beta + \gamma) \Rightarrow \angle PTY = \alpha +\beta +\gamma \Rightarrow \angle TPY=90-(\alpha+\beta+\gamma)[/tex]

Now as [tex]\angle BUZ=\angle BPZ[/tex] and [tex]\angle BUZ=90 - \alpha, \angle BPZ = 90 - \alpha[/tex].
Let [tex]\angle CPZ= \mu[/tex]. Now [tex]\angle CPZ+\angle TPC=\angle BUZ \Rightarrow \mu + 90-(\alpha +\beta)=90-\alpha \Rightarrow \mu = \beta \Rightarrow \angle CPZ = \beta \Rightarrow CYZ = \beta[/tex].

As [tex]\angle UYP+\angle PYZ = \beta +90 + 90-\beta = 180, U, \ Y[/tex] and [tex]Z[/tex] must be colinear.

[tex]QED[/tex]

Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• Simson line.JPG
    Simson line.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 473
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just bumping this... Hoping someone will take a look. I really appreciate it.

Where is [tex]\angle APX[/tex] or rather point X.

I thought I had switched all the X's with U's as my program wouldn't accept X as a vertex. It's really U. It's changed now.

What program are you using?

Geogebra. It's great. It's free and our textbooks webpage has a link to it.

If you want it..: here is a direct link to the setup file.
http://www.geogebra.org/download/InstData/Windows/NoVM/GeoGebra_3_0_0_0_Release_Candidate_1.exe

Woah! This program is cool ... thanks! I wish I knew more geometry to help you, lol. I'm actually self-studying it at the moment, but you're further ahead of me in the game so :( I'm sure someone else will respond in a few!

It's supposed to be Simson's line, and not Simons line.

PZ is perpendicular to BC, then angle(BZP) is naturally 90 degree, no need for any assumption!

Related to Is my proof of Simon's line theorem complete?

1. What is Simon's line in geometry?

Simon's line is a line that connects the midpoints of two sides of a triangle. It is also known as the midline or median line.

2. How is Simon's line calculated?

To calculate Simon's line, you need to find the midpoints of two sides of the triangle. Then, connect these two midpoints with a straight line. This line is Simon's line.

3. What is the purpose of Simon's line?

Simon's line helps to bisect the base of a triangle and divide it into two equal parts. It is used to find the midpoints of a triangle and to solve problems involving triangle properties.

4. Is Simon's line always parallel to the base of a triangle?

No, Simon's line is not always parallel to the base of a triangle. It is only parallel to the base when the triangle is isosceles or equilateral.

5. Who is Simon in Simon's line?

The name "Simon" in Simon's line is named after the mathematician and engineer, Simon Stevin. He introduced this concept in the 16th century and it has been used in geometry ever since.