Is My Light Meter Reading in mLux or Lux?

In summary, the conversation is about a light meter that was set to 2000 instead of 2, and the question of whether the readings are in mLux or just Lux. The experts suggest that the unit may have measured 1253 Lux, but more information is needed to determine the exact units and make and model of the meter. They also provide some additional information about typical light levels for different settings.
otterandseal1
Hi, I'm studying physics and was wondering about the light meter I used. It was set to 2000 so I could get readings, instead of 2 because the readings wouldn't show. Does this mean my values I get from the light meter is in mLux (milli) or just Lux?

Science news on Phys.org
I am just guessing here because I don't have the manual that came with your meter. If your setting is 2000 and the reading is 1253, then it means 1.253 Lux.

Hi there, @otterandseal1
and welcome to PF :smile:

kuruman said:
If your setting is 2000 and the reading is 1253, then it means 1.253 Lux.
or 1253 Lux ... depends on what the units of the 2000 is
otterandseal1 said:
Hi, I'm studying physics and was wondering about the light meter I used. It was set to 2000 so I could get readings, instead of 2 because the readings wouldn't show. Does this mean my values I get from the light meter is in mLux (milli) or just Lux?
mate, you really need to tell us lots more info
Make, Model even a sharp and clear photo of the front of the unit would be extremely helpful

2000 means nothing to us if you don't tell us the unitsDave

Likes russ_watters
davenn said:
Hi there, @otterandseal1
and welcome to PF :smile:

or 1253 Lux ... depends on what the units of the 2000 ismate, you really need to tell us lots more info
Make, Model even a sharp and clear photo of the front of the unit would be extremely helpful

2000 means nothing to us if you don't tell us the unitsDave

I don't have it with me. It's measured in lux. Theres a knob that turns to 2, 20, 2000, 20000

otterandseal1 said:
I don't have it with me. It's measured in lux. Theres a knob that turns to 2, 20, 2000, 20000
do you have a manual for it ?

if not, there's probably one online

it would seem that it measured 1253 lux, which is a pretty bright light source.

Just an aside for light sources, the avg data projector for a home or board room is from 1500 - 3000 lux

13PT-VX500EA.jpg

a good number are much higher 5k to 8k lux for larger auditoriums

so, till you provide more info, no one can help youDave

Attachments

• 13PT-VX500EA.jpg
    13PT-VX500EA.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 417

Related to Is My Light Meter Reading in mLux or Lux?

1. What is a light meter and how does it work?

A light meter is a device used to measure the amount of light in a given space. It works by using a sensor to detect the intensity of light and converting it into an electrical signal, which is then displayed on a scale or digital screen.

2. Why is reading on a light meter important?

Reading on a light meter is important because it allows you to accurately measure the amount of light in a space, which is essential for tasks such as photography, film making, and scientific research. It also helps ensure proper lighting levels for safety and comfort.

3. How do I read a light meter?

To read a light meter, hold the device towards the light source and adjust the settings to match the ISO, shutter speed, and aperture of your camera or desired lighting level. The meter will then display a number or value indicating the intensity of light.

4. What are the different types of light meters?

There are two main types of light meters: incident and reflective. Incident light meters measure the light falling on a subject, while reflective light meters measure the light reflected off a subject. There are also handheld and built-in light meters, as well as analog and digital versions.

5. How accurate are light meters?

The accuracy of a light meter can vary depending on the type and quality of the device. Generally, digital light meters tend to be more accurate than analog ones. It is important to calibrate and regularly check the accuracy of your light meter to ensure reliable readings.