Is My Flow Laminar or Turbulent at Re= 200,000?

• Thread starter edacs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    laminar
In summary, The conversation is about calculating the Reynolds number for an automotive ac suction line with specific values for inner diameter, pressure, temperature, and mass flow rate. The speaker is getting a value of around 200,000, which is considered turbulent according to the equation. They are unsure if this is in the reasonable range and ask for clarification. Another speaker mentions that even if the flow is theoretically laminar, vibrations in cars can make it turbulent. The speaker can still use the turbulent equation for their Reynolds number. The second speaker also mentions that for pipe flow, the diameter Reynolds numbers quoted for the onset of turbulent do not necessarily mean the flow is instantly turbulent, but rather that it will eventually become turbulent.
edacs
I am calculating Reynolds number for a automotive ac suction line with 16mm Id 300kpa and 10 deg C and 230 kg/hr. I am getting around 200,000. I think I got laminar flow, but the equation says turbulent. greater than 10,000. dynamic viscosity is my most questionable variable. i checked and double checked all my SI units. Anybody know if this Reynolds number is in the reasonable range?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sometimes when you are working with cars, although the flow might be theoretically laminar, we have to account for the vibrations that will most likely make it turbulent.

You can still use the Reynolds number you obtained but with the turbulent equation.

What makes you think your flow is laminar?

At any rate, for pipe flow, the diameter Reynolds numbers typically quoted for the onset of turbulent don't mean that the flow is instantly turbulent. It merely means the flow is unstable and will eventually become turbulent. If your tube is quite short, you could have extraordinarily high diameter Reynolds numbers and still be laminar for at least a short distance downstream.

Related to Is My Flow Laminar or Turbulent at Re= 200,000?

What is laminar flow at Re = 200,000?

Laminar flow is a type of fluid flow where the particles move in parallel layers with no mixing between the layers. Re = 200,000 is the Reynolds number, which is a dimensionless number that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid flow. At Re = 200,000, the flow is considered to be in the transition zone between laminar and turbulent flow.

What factors affect laminar flow at Re = 200,000?

Some of the factors that can affect laminar flow at Re = 200,000 include the viscosity and density of the fluid, the velocity of the flow, and the size and shape of the object the fluid is flowing over.

How is laminar flow at Re = 200,000 different from turbulent flow?

In laminar flow, the fluid particles move in an orderly manner with little to no mixing between layers. In turbulent flow, the fluid particles move in a chaotic manner with mixing between layers. At Re = 200,000, the flow is in the transition zone between these two types of flow and may exhibit characteristics of both laminar and turbulent flow.

What are some real-world applications of laminar flow at Re = 200,000?

Laminar flow at Re = 200,000 is commonly seen in applications such as blood flow in arteries, airflow over airplane wings, and oil flow in pipelines. It is also used in various industrial processes, such as in the production of thin films and in mixing processes.

How is laminar flow at Re = 200,000 measured and calculated?

Laminar flow at Re = 200,000 can be measured using various techniques such as flow visualization, pressure drop measurements, and velocity measurements. It can also be calculated using the Reynolds number equation, which takes into account the fluid properties, velocity, and size of the object the fluid is flowing over.