Is My Compressor Adequate for My Buttler Press Machine?

In summary, the conversation discusses a project involving swapping the plant compressor for a smaller unit, with details on the current compressor and the requirements of the new one. There is a question regarding whether the compressor will be able to continuously supply enough volume for the big buttler press machine, given that the air tank receiver is much larger than the machine requirement. The discussion also touches on the duty cycle and pressure requirements.
dreznana
Machine and compressor (how to solve this??)

Okay all, my first post
I am from Australia so not sure which unit you guys preferred in this forum. :smile:

Got this project to swap our plant compressor to smaller unit.

My compressor details:
pressure: 7.5 Bar / 110 psi
power: 30 KW / 40 HP
volume rate: 83.3 liter/sec / 177 cfm

My air tank receiver: 800 liter

My big buttler press machine required 170 liter/sec / 360cfm.

Design is: Compressor - Air receiver - Buttler machine.

Will my compressor have enough volume to supply the machine continuously? Since the air tank receiver is almost 7 times bigger than the machine requirement?

Will appreciate any comments

cheers

Engineering news on Phys.org

dreznana said:
volume rate: 83.3 liter/sec / 177 cfm

My air tank receiver: 800 liter

My big buttler press machine required 170 liter/sec / 360cfm.

Depends on the duty cycle of the press. Since the compressor can supply less than half of the required volume at 100%, at some point the press will drain the receiver tank faster than the compressor can refill it.

You don't specify any pressures in your requirements. Does that mean you have converted all of your flow requirements to standard day conditions?

yes the pressure required is 100 psi at all times

Hello! From the information provided, it seems like your compressor may not have enough volume to supply the machine continuously. The air tank receiver being 7 times bigger than the machine requirement may not necessarily be a problem, as it will provide a buffer for fluctuations in demand. However, the volume rate of your compressor may not be enough to consistently meet the required volume for the machine.

To solve this, you may need to consider upgrading your compressor to one with a higher volume rate. Alternatively, you could also look into adding a secondary smaller compressor to work in tandem with your current one to meet the demand of the machine. It would also be helpful to carefully monitor the air usage of the machine and adjust the settings of the compressor accordingly to optimize its performance.

Additionally, you may want to consult with a professional or conduct further research to determine the best solution for your specific situation. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

Related to Is My Compressor Adequate for My Buttler Press Machine?

1. What is a machine and compressor?

A machine and compressor is a mechanical device that uses energy to compress gas or air and then release it in a more powerful form. It is used in various industries for different purposes, such as refrigeration, air conditioning, and powering tools and machinery.

2. How does a compressor work?

A compressor works by taking in gas or air at a low pressure, compressing it with a piston or rotor, and then releasing it at a higher pressure. This process increases the pressure and temperature of the gas, making it more useful for various applications.

3. What are the common problems with a compressor?

Some common problems with a compressor include leaks, faulty valves, and issues with the motor or electrical components. It is important to regularly maintain and service a compressor to prevent these problems and ensure its efficient functioning.

4. How can I solve issues with my machine and compressor?

The best way to solve issues with a machine and compressor is to refer to the user manual or consult a professional. Proper maintenance and timely repairs can also help prevent major problems. It is important to follow safety precautions and use the correct tools and techniques when working with a machine and compressor.

5. How can I increase the efficiency of my machine and compressor?

Regular maintenance, proper lubrication, and using high-quality parts can help increase the efficiency of a machine and compressor. It is also important to ensure that the machine and compressor are being used for their intended purposes and not overloaded beyond their capacity.