Is My Calculation of NO2 Produced from N2O5 Decomposition Correct?

In summary, to solve a chemistry homework problem, one should carefully read and understand the problem, identify relevant concepts and equations, and plug in given values to arrive at an answer. If stuck, it is helpful to break the problem into smaller parts and seek help from resources. To check the answer, one can plug it back into the equation and use online calculators or ask for feedback. Calculators can be used, but it is important to make sure they are allowed and appropriate. To improve understanding, active participation, taking notes, asking questions, and seeking help can be beneficial.
ldixon
2N2O5 heat-- 4NO2 + O2

1.618 g of O2 are produced, how much NO2 in grams are produced? I got 9.30 g NO2, is that right? I used 1 mol O2 = 32 g O2, and 1 mol NO2 = 46g NO2. I first converted g O2 to Mol O2 then used the balanced equation to convert from mol O2 to mol NO2, then converted to NO2 to grams. If anyone can tell me if I did this right I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I agree with both your final answer as well as your method used to obtain it.

Your calculations appear to be correct. It is important to use the molar ratios from the balanced equation to convert between moles of O2 and moles of NO2, and then use the molar mass of NO2 to convert from moles to grams. Double checking your calculations and using the correct units throughout the conversion process is always a good practice. Keep up the good work!

Related to Is My Calculation of NO2 Produced from N2O5 Decomposition Correct?

1. How do I solve this chemistry homework problem?

To solve a chemistry homework problem, it is important to carefully read and understand the problem. Then, identify the relevant concepts and equations that can be used to solve the problem. Finally, plug in the given values and follow the correct mathematical steps to arrive at the answer.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a chemistry homework problem?

If you are stuck on a chemistry homework problem, try breaking it down into smaller parts and tackling them one at a time. You can also seek help from your teacher, classmates, or online resources. It is important to not get discouraged and keep trying until you understand and solve the problem.

3. How can I check if my answer to a chemistry homework problem is correct?

You can check your answer to a chemistry homework problem by plugging it back into the original equation and seeing if it balances. You can also use online calculators or ask your teacher for feedback. It is important to double-check your work to ensure accuracy.

4. Can I use a calculator for my chemistry homework problems?

Yes, you can use a calculator for your chemistry homework problems. However, it is important to make sure that your calculator is allowed and appropriate for the type of problem you are solving. Some problems may require using a specific type of calculator or performing calculations by hand.

5. How can I improve my understanding of chemistry concepts to better solve homework problems?

To improve your understanding of chemistry concepts, it is important to actively participate in class, take thorough notes, and ask questions when you don't understand something. You can also review your notes regularly and practice solving various types of problems. Additionally, seeking help from your teacher or a tutor can also be beneficial.