Is my book making an algebra error?

In summary, the conversation discusses a notation error or algebra problem where the system of equations presented in a book cannot be simplified into the given form. The possibility of approximation under the assumption that one variable is much smaller is also mentioned.
ozone
Not sure if this is a notation error or an algebra or if I am wrong , but my book presents a system of equations and I cannot get it into the form which it is presented

[itex]\tau _b = \left(1 + \frac{\Phi _b}{c^2}\right)\text{ }\text{$\Delta $t}[/itex]

[itex]\tau _a = \left(1 + \frac{\Phi _a}{c^2}\right)\text{ }\text{$\Delta $t}[/itex]

[itex]\tau _b = \left(1 + \frac{\Phi _{b-}\Phi _a}{c^2}\right)\text{ }\tau _a [/itex]

Just wondering if I am missing something obvious here or if they are performing black magic. I tried subbing in for delta t and then doing long division but my answer was slightly different from their form.

Physics news on Phys.org
ozone said:
Not sure if this is a notation error or an algebra or if I am wrong , but my book presents a system of equations and I cannot get it into the form which it is presented

[itex]\tau _b = \left(1 + \frac{\Phi _b}{c^2}\right)\text{ }\text{$\Delta $t}[/itex]

[itex]\tau _a = \left(1 + \frac{\Phi _a}{c^2}\right)\text{ }\text{$\Delta $t}[/itex]

[itex]\tau _b = \left(1 + \frac{\Phi _{b-}\Phi _a}{c^2}\right)\text{ }\tau _a [/itex]

Just wondering if I am missing something obvious here or if they are performing black magic. I tried subbing in for delta t and then doing long division but my answer was slightly different from their form.

Could it be that they are making an approximation under the assumption that ##\frac{\Phi_a}{c^2}## is much smaller than 1?

Ahh I suppose that you are probably right.. thank you.

Related to Is my book making an algebra error?

1. What is considered an algebra error in a book?

An algebra error in a book refers to any mistake in mathematical equations or expressions using algebraic rules and symbols. This can include incorrect application of rules, errors in simplification, or incorrect use of variables.

2. How do I know if my book contains an algebra error?

You can identify an algebra error in your book by carefully checking all mathematical equations and expressions for any mistakes or inconsistencies. It is also helpful to have a peer or expert review your work for any potential errors.

3. Can an algebra error impact the accuracy of my book?

Yes, an algebra error can significantly impact the accuracy of your book. Even a small mistake can lead to incorrect solutions and conclusions, which can affect the overall credibility of your work.

4. How can I avoid making algebra errors in my book?

To avoid making algebra errors in your book, it is essential to double-check all mathematical equations and expressions. Make sure to follow proper algebraic rules and simplify equations correctly. It is also helpful to use multiple sources and have others review your work.

5. What should I do if I find an algebra error in my published book?

If you discover an algebra error in your published book, it is best to address it as soon as possible. You can publish a correction or updated edition with the correct information. It is also essential to acknowledge the error and take steps to prevent similar mistakes in the future.